PAPUA NEW GUINEA DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES
KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Return to Kumul Development Forum  

Everyone's got to start from somewhere...

December 2 2010 at 12:27 AM
No score for this post
Nesian 

Response to Re: A Review of The New York TImes Article with Actual Data, not Heresay

To misquote Laurence Tureaud, that esteemed moral philosopher, all I can say is, "I pity the fools".

This is my immediate response to the posts responding to my original rebuttal of the New York Times post, what I merely wanted to point out was that we shouldn't just assume that Papua New Guinea will fall into the resource curse trap of old and therefore cling to colonial remnants of a time long gone wherein we merely supply our old allies and sit in comfort next to the glowing embers of our status quo.

The article I linked to and copy-and-paste dumped was an alternative appreciation of the data at hand. The people who would not want us to change and therefore eschew the chance of anything resembling development are the ones who are benefiting most from the current state of affairs. True that we might be taking a big risk by signing our souls away on what may essentially be document of equal value to a scrap of used toilet paper by entering into these deals with Exxon and whatever corporate stooge the PRC is using but at least it is risk justified by the current state of our progress.

You can't even hope to lift yourself up from your bootstraps if you won't even put on any footwear in the first place because the last pair you had on were too tight or think that shoes are for westerners and we should be proud of our calussed bear feet. I apologise for the extended metaphor but that's how serious I am.

The reason why you see so many more people selling cigarettes and buai at the bus stops as you drive to work is because they to have a tonne of ambition but an ounce of resource as opposed to those in air conditioned offices where the vice versa applies. Do you really think people sell things on the side of roads because they like the smell of exhaust fumes!?

The reason there are more people begging in the streets are not because the people in the cities have become poorer, it is people in the villages come to the city wanting more. Do we tell them, "NO, you go back, you belong where you are and I belong where I am"? No, far from it, we should encourage them and help them to achieve there full potential with whatever funds available and if funds are not available than sign that piece of paper, take my soul and give me that opportunity to succeed.

So what if the facilities and amenities in the cities are not available, the only way to make it so that is the case is to have the population here to force the government and local authorities into action. Do you think any of the major cities in the world, your Londons, your New Yorks and your Tokyos were built with all the proper housing, waste treatment facilities, power grids and public parks before the masses were invited in for habitation?

Get real, but more importantly don't get used to it.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!