KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Return to Kumul Development Forum  

Re: Tokples literacy

September 27 2011 at 6:59 PM
No score for this post
Mangi Nating 

Response to Tokples literacy

Hi Pooh,

I'd be interested in the literature that "proves" this claim. I learned English from my earliest and had no problems.

Could it be that PNG kids have been doing poorly because the quality of teaching has decreased over the years? Nowadays, teachers are likely to be absent from school as often as their students. Could it be because the infrastructure necessary to teach the children has not been maintained/upgraded? Try teaching in a classroom when the rain leaks through the roofs.

The bandwagons/fads that you talk about are usually introduced by some idiotic external consultant, usually of a liberal bent. What I am suggesting is we forget this fuddy-duddy idea about teaching kids in tok-ples and start teaching them in English at the onset. Kids have a wonderful ability to easily acquire new languages. Modern ideas are more easily conveyed in English than they are in any of our tokples. What is the tokples word for space station? or meteor? or television even? By resorting to tok-ples teaching you are limiting the ability of our kids to understand the basic items in their modern world and assigning them to a primitive time.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!