PAPUA NEW GUINEA DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES
KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Respond to this messageReturn to Kumul Development Forum
Original Message
  • Re: Re:Lack of common ground

• Posted Jul 15, 2002 5:02 AM

I agree that Australia will not accept PNG as a state of the Federation of Australia. One of the main reasons is PNG will be seen as a liability to Australia and contributing little to the economy. Not in terms of natural resources but very little of manpower. More than eighty percent of us have no wage job translating to being on the dole in Australia. New Zealand has more chance of being a state of Australia than PNG. New Zealanders enjoy the same privileges as Australian citizen, They dont require vivas to travel to Australia but we do and do not enjoy other privileges in Australia as they do. After all our way of life is completely different to theirs. The Aboriginal people are still struggling to fit into their society.
      Defragmentation of PNG should not be entertained by PNGs. One of the biggest campaign in the period between self government and independence was "united, bung wantaim and Hahebou". This was the biggest campaign by the "fathers" of PNG to unite us all. Lets all unite to be Papua New Guineans. We can make it happen.
      The idea of regional government sounds good but may not work in all regions as we know it today, ie Highlands,Momase,New Guinea Islands and Southern. For instance in the Highlands region where I come from I can see disagreements between us on many logistics issues like where will the capital be, Goroka, Hagen or even Kundiawa, Mendi or Wabag. In fighting between the provinces as we know today that certain group of people are controlling the affairs of the region,for instance beaurocrats in the government. Some of the "richer provinces" may not want share their wealth with the more moderate ones.
      But who knows it may work nicely in PNG. Less beaurocrats, more autonomy, and probably more unity among the regions and the country.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Also send responses to my email address

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!