PAPUA NEW GUINEA DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES
KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Respond to this messageReturn to Kumul Development Forum
Original Message
  • Too may labels
    • JG
      Posted Jun 21, 2006 7:16 AM

My observations from the discussions on this board are there are too many labels being thrown around as tools to distinguish authentic PNGeans from 'others'. It is simply mischieveous to brand everybody with the same brush - I beleive that is where the problem is for the future of PNG. I was born in PNG, but my label is an Aussie 'expatriate', similarly, Asians born in PNG are still called derogative names - get real people - this is a global, multicultural world. I understand and sympathise entirely with your angst, given the outrageous mismanagement of your resourses by your government. But don't attack the many people who have been the backbone of your economy, and others who are trying to find solutions to corporate /govt cronyism world wide. Some of us are spending a great deal of our lives trying to fight for political transparency and corporate accountability for PNG and don't tell me to but out - this is not an isolated PNG issue - it is a global one. YOu are in a global economy, like it or lump it, and that is where your problem and solution lie, not in local, ethnic mud-slinging. If it wasn't for global demand of timber, RH would have no market. Start fighting the politics, not the people. Take a tip from Malaysia's pluralist society, where the Chinese, Malays, and Indians are valued for their differences and all called Malaysians, and guess what - their economy is booming big time. Not for devise reasons, because they seek answers in unifying those differences. Don't be so insecure about your identity - you will always be PNGeans. Welcome to the world of multiculturalsim and all its opportunities.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!