PAPUA NEW GUINEA DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES
KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Respond to this messageReturn to Kumul Development Forum
Original Message
  • merit based appointments to public offices
    • Brat
      Posted Feb 28, 2008 9:06 AM

Merit Nating,

Tenkyu long bekim toktok na sukurim tingting i go liklik moa. Bel na tingting blong yu em trupla tasol mi gat sampla hevi.

The idea of introducing a law to sanction merit based appointments seems like an attractive option because it seems provide the redemptive hope of delivering us from the endless oppression we suffer from political interference and discrimination.

I am however a bit sceptical not about the idea of a merit-based law to regulate appointments but more about the effectiveness of such a law. We turn to believe that if things dont work, it is because we dont have the necessary legal arrangements so we have proliferate a new set of legal mechanisms so that they could erase, eliminate and emancipitate us from an oppressive status quo. So we keep on making new laws without trying to make the new laws work for us. Laws are good and effective only if there are enforced, monitored and adjusted accorded to the prevailing circumstances of our times.

What we might need is an extra surveillance system that keeps track of the effectiveness of laws, the rewards and retributions they offer and of their ability to retain their legitimacy as laws of some significance. Such a system can be organised through aligning sister organisations and a team of appropriately qualified and concerned professionals to share information and synergies their efforts to make our laws effective. Isolation, departmental enclaves, empires only work to frustrate an effective enforcement of the moral and legislative aspirations of particular laws.

Em inap luk olsem bai mi pulim toktok tumas na bai sampla lain go boring long hia so mi lusim olsem. Bai mipla toktok moa sapos i gat lain laik sukurim tingting yet!

em mi tasol

Brat

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Also send responses to my email address

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!