Return to Index  

Re: costs

December 9 2003 at 12:03 PM
JB  (no login)

Response to Costs

Nat wrote:

>There's no reason JB- other than cost. Manufacturers try to make things as cheaply as possible so they can sell them cheap. <

I think people would pay a few dollars more for this feature. I know that lots of people hate to reprogram their VCR's and some of them don't have kids, so they have to get out the manual and do it themselves.

>People don't think about things like power failures when they are buying appliances. <

I think about such things.

>I live out in the country where brief (1-2 second) power failures are almost a daily occurrence during the summer thunderstorm season.<

It is the same here and I have noticed that if the failures are less than about 2 seconds, the VCR does not forget the time or lose the channel settings.

> It would be nice it there was a UL requirement that electronic devices have to maintain memory at least for short-term power failures. <

I really don't think it would cost more than a few dollars to mass-produce the additional circuitry, but I don't know for sure.

> In the mean time, you can use a UPS where it is a major problem. Smaller units (under 400-watt) are pretty cheap.<

I will need to try one and see if they consume much power during standby mode. They probably just have some sort of detection circuitry and a trickle charger working all of the time.

thanks

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Re: costs - Nat on Dec 9
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement