Return to Index  

That is just the kind of thing that gets made illegal

January 20 2005 at 3:26 PM
Wayne  (no login)

Response to Re: Gay Unions

JB said
< eewww I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that. >

I think that when someone does something that makes some other people react this way, then the first thing that results is social pressure to stop offending other people. If that doesn't work, pretty soon it is made illegal.

I presume that this is what is causing things to get worse for breast freedom -- too many people reacting that way to breasts. Remember the Super Bowl idiocy. What is needed is a nurse-in at the next Super Bowl.

There are a lot of things that I react ro just like JB did. I read National Geographic as a kid, and wearing ear rings causes me to react the same way. Probably too many huge ear rings worn by the semi-naked natives. Likewise, I react that way to gays, but not lesbians. When I was young, I was less tolorant of people doing things that made me react that way, but I have grown up and realized that if I want the freedom to do the things that I want to do, I had better be willing to give others the freedom to do what they want to do.

I remember, in the late 1960s, seeing a book of the writings of the Marque de Sade on a co-worker's bookshelf. I'd heard of it, opened it at random, and started reading. Yuck. I tried a few other spots. I couldn't manage more than a page or two anywhere. I was, and am, opposed to censorship, but I decided then and there that if I ever changed my mind, that was the first book that I wanted censored. BTW, it is so thin because his family felt the same way, and tried to destroy all of his writings after he died.

I assume you all know that the word sadism is derived from his name. The things he wrote about he also did, and deservedly spent most of his life in prison because of this.

Just because I think someone should have a right to do something doesn't mean that I want them to do it, or that I want to see them do it. Usually, I don't. I just don't want society telling me how to live my life, so I believe in live and let live.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: That is just the kind of thing that gets made illegal - JB on Jan 20, 2005
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement