Return to Index  

Turn off Javascript if you don't want to be annoyed.

March 13 2005 at 2:40 PM
Wayne  (no login)

Response to Hey Nat

I do software development on my computer, as well as browsing the Internet, so I'm more safety-conscious than must users. I have taken a number of precautions; what is relavant here is that I have always thought that the typical user's attitude toward the Internet is as risky to his computer as having promiscous sex without condoms is to his body, and for the same reasons.

I use Netscape, and leave the following options turned off:

1. Load images automatically. Instead, I push the Images button when I want them for a specific page, which isn't very often.

2. Java. I NEVER turn it on.

3. Javascript. I turn it on only when I'm sure that I want it on, and only for a site that I have decided is trustworty, mostly the Los Angeles Times.

4. Cookies. Again, I rarely turn it on, and only for a specific site where I need it. Mostly, for the New York Times (Be sure and leave Javascript OFF there.) and the Los Angeles Times (Be sure and turn on Javascript there.)

5. I never install optional things for my web browser.

Most of the annoying things on the Internet come from abandoning safe practices like these. That's fine if you only use your computer on the Internet; you can easily wipe it clean and reinstall everything after it gets a fatal infection, can't you.

As far as I can tell, leaving Javascript turned off gets rid of 100% of the popups. I didn't realize that this site had any, although I did realize that it had advertisements; I just don't see them.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Functionality vs security - Nat on Mar 14, 2005
    1. Images, etc. - Wayne on Mar 16, 2005
      1. Safe surfing - Nat on Mar 16, 2005
        1. Liability issuse - Wayne on Mar 17, 2005

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement