Return to Index  

Change

May 23 2005 at 1:37 AM
John Bayko  (no login)

Response to Re: The key words are "do not have to"

"JB posted that i said that "we can't change". he's correct. that is my opinion."

I think you might be mistaking "change" with "make allowance for".

Basically, in order for any two people to get along without killing each other, thre needs to be some amount of politeness. Much of this is innate, the same genetically-motivated behaviour that allows any social creature to want to form social groups. People want friends.

Human society is so large and complex that, unlike animals, it has grown to become a much larger part of a human life than the instinctive part. The majority of everyone's lives are spend on things which have no instinctive basis whatsoever - language, work, education, politics, religion, etc.

It is entirely true that this is all based upon the reptilian brain and other animal instincts. These behavioral forces shape the higher, non-instinctive (social, intellectual) mental processes, in the same way that the rock formations under water influence the waves and currents above. And a lot of people don't realise how much of this influence there is. Most think, or would like to think, that the human mind is a sort of spirit, disconnected from the old, obsolete physical realm.

The instincttive thought process - emotions, sex, etc. - keep reaching up unexpectedly through all that abstract thought and grabbing thought away from logic and all that. But at the same time, it is only occasionally. And most people maintain their "right minds" despite these interruptsions. At best these are only influences - to be counted among logic, experience, sympathy, and a whole host of motivations.

I think you put too much emphasis on one side, while pointing out that most people put too much emphasis on the other. They all work together - and keep in mind that the human brain is capable of all this higher, abstract thought. That's why humans think that way, and other animals don't. It is quite natural to want something at a deeper level, yet decide rationally not to pursue it. Or wait for another time.

Or, indeed, supress the desire entirely. Humans get other competitive benefits from doing this - namely all this civilisation, technology, control of the entire world thing that we've done.

That only happens due to humans collaborating, working together socially and economically, in abstract and symbolic ways. If you say that the animal behaviour of humans is more important, you'll have to be willing to give up a whole lot of progress.

The world's greatest mathematician, Sir Issac Newton, died a virgin. Happily.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement