Return to Index  

Oil dependence

October 19 2005 at 12:38 PM
Nat  (Login Nafana)
Forum Owner

Response to Shortage?

Yes, I think hugh SUVs have become the status symbol of our age. And they are forcing everyone else to get one just for self-defense- like if you are driving in a regular car you can't see over them, you can't see around them, I've nearly been hit several times backing out in parking lots because I couldn't see what was coming because of some mammoth SUV parked next to me.

As for the oil shortage, it may not be so much an actual shortage, but much of our problems is a result of our dependence on foreign oil. We are totally at their mercy- and our meddling in the middle east to protect our supplies has stirred up all this anti-Americanism and terrorism against us. What's more, it puts us- the US in a very vulnerable position if another major war were to break out. It is so easy to sink a tanker or cargo ship cutting us off from vital supplies. One reason we prevailed in WW-II was we were a totally self-sufficient country back then. If we had been dependent on foreign oil like we are now we might be speaking German or Japanese.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Parking Lots & SUVs - michaela on Oct 19, 2005
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement