Return to Index  

Peer Pressure

February 20 2006 at 11:35 AM
  (no login)

Response to I think it should be by letting people have more choice, not less

Melissa, don't you think another possible outcome of your suggestion is that females might feel pressure to do something they don't want to do? If other girls their age are showing more skin, there can be tremendous pressure to do the same, even if they don't want to.

Teens are followers. Some school districts started requiring school uniforms because of the pressure students were feeling to follow the crowd and dress in ways that maybe they couldn't afford or didn't like. Students themselves later said that they like the unforms, because they took some of the pressure off that they had felt before.

If the trend became "showing more skin", then flat-chested, overweight girls or others not comfortable with nudity might feel pressure to exhibit themselves in a way that they feel uncomfortable with or like they don't measure up (I know when I was in high school and was this toothpick of a boy, I wouldn't have wanted to go shirtless or even wear a tank top around the buff athletes and others with larger, muscled chests, shoulders and arms. Gym class was hard enough!). As adults, we can resist such pressures, but teens especially have a hard time doing their own thing, as they want to fit in and be accepted.

I think we should de-sexualize the school environment as much as possible. Let kids be kids . . at least those who aren't in such a hurry to have sex and seek other adult pursuits. I always said to my sons and their friends, "Enjoy being a kid. You will have a long time to be an adult, and you will probably look back on your youth and wished you hadn't hurried through it."

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Body discrimination - Nat on Feb 20
    1. Body Discrimination - Mike on Feb 20
    2. Body Discrimination - Bob on Feb 20
      1. Body Discrimination - Mike on Feb 20
      2. body discrimination - sdun on Feb 20
      3. Real beauty - Nat on Feb 20
        1. Re: Real beauty - Rusty on Feb 21

2. Body acceptance is not about sex, it's the reverse - Melissa on Feb 20
  4. Peer Pressure - Mike on Feb 20
    1. Nothing More - Bob on Feb 20
      1. Nothing More - Mike on Feb 20

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement