Return to Index  

Those situations

March 19 2006 at 10:42 AM
Bob  (no login)

Response to Re: Its Because I Understand

that you described are of women who were victmized and need assistance/support. I'm not talking about REAL victims . . . I'm talking about those that seek victimhood as a strategy for obtaining special status and benefits (AKA Feminists). And, I'm sure we've BOTH seen this latter kind.

I'm talking the current political struggle between men and women, fostered by the feminist leadership. I'm not talking about individuals who have been mistreated, are addicted to substances, live in a ravaged flood zone, etc.

There has long been this debate about the "deserving." My profs. continually advocated that "deserving" was an antiquated concept (this was many years ago) that they attributed to the lack of professionalism in the ranks of supposed helpers. The "new" (at that time) helping professional was to do away with this concept that some people "deserve" help and others don't.

But, I've always seen as common sense the fact that some people ARE more deserving of help than others -- and our allocation of resources (here in US, I don't know about Canada) reflects those judgments. I've always heard that its "better" to get some diseases and disabilities than others. The blind, for example, apparently had a "good lobby" from early on, thus all of the schools, services, accomdations for them. The deaf, somewhat less. The mentally retarded -- good lobby and a lot of resources brought to bear --- mental health, much less.

More commonly, we all tend to judge some people as more deserving of help for routine problems. As I noted, the Women, Infants & Children (WIC) program, that helps everyone but you-know-who. We see an apparently able-bodied, but homeless man and we think, "This guy sjhould be working. He could support himself if he wanted to." Then, we see an able-bodied homeless woman, and we think, "Poor dear! Here's a hug, some food, warm bed to sleep, and tomorrow we'll go get you some clothes." Hey, I would probably react the same way. We are all (US) conditioned to see the woman down on her luck sympathetically . . as, yes, a victim. And the man down on his luck? "Get off your ass and work!"

And, if any man dares to point out this difference, he is labeled "whimp" or "whiner". You never heard complaining women called that -- maybe "Bitch", but then that is even embraced by some as a term denoting strength. Funny how the same things have different means depending upon whether you are talking about men or women.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Real - Boreas on Mar 19, 2006
    1. I Have Tried - Bob on Mar 19, 2006
      1. Re: I Have Tried - Nat on Mar 19, 2006
      2. Courts - Boreas on Mar 19, 2006
        1. Isn't that sensitive? - Bob on Mar 19, 2006
          1. The divorce dilemma - Nat on Mar 19, 2006
          2. Stress - John Bayko on Mar 21, 2006
            1. The Irony of It - Bob on Mar 21, 2006

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement