Return to Index  

Forces

March 19 2006 at 11:05 AM
  (no login)

Response to Re: World Leader

"The UN can not follow through on anything without asking for the intervention of the US. They try real hard to initiate good global policies but unfortunately are incapable of enforcement."

To be fair, they ask for the intervention of anyone they can. It's true about the U.N's inability to enforce things, but it wasn't meant to be able to, by design - the world powers post-WW II (U.S, Russia, China, U.K, etc.) did not want to subordinate themselves to anything. It doesn't do too badly for the things it was designed for, when long and slow negotiation is the best option. But Rwanda was a disaster because of U.N bureaucracy prevented military support in time.

"[...] they [Canadiana] were in my opinion a very capable force and a joy to work with. Of all the nation’s militaries I have worked with. they were almost as disciplined as the US Armed Forces"

I have a friend who was in the Canadian Armed Forces (well, I know others too), and from his tales he was "disciplined" many times . He served in Vietnam three times - once as a liason officer with the Marines, once as a liason officer with the 101st Airborne, and once with Canadian forces for the U.N. Little known fact, Canadian liason officers attached to U.S and British military units are serving in Iraq right now.

The Canadian Armed Forces have done a good job of not letting quality slip due to the cutbacks over the years - it was mostly big equipment that suffered. And numbers - the U.S deployment in Iraq is two and a half times bigger than the entire Canadian active duty military.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement