Your idea that most blacks live in the ghetto really does show that white people don't know much about the African American community. Here are some more facts:
1. In 1960, only 20 percent of the black population finished high school. Only 3 percent of African Americans graduated from college.
2. Today, about 86 percent of African Americans graduate from high school, a rate comparable to that of whites. Today, about a third of black high school graduates attend college and 13 percent graduate.
3. In 1960, the small number of black professionals were largely confined to serving the black population. They were primarily small businessmen, ministers, teachers, and undertakers--with a few doctors, lawyers, and pharmacists. Black women, in particular, labored almost exclusively as domestic servants.
4. As late as 1950, a sizable portion of African Americans still picked cotton for a living.
5. Today,African Americans hold a wide range of jobs. They have been particularly successful in securing middle-income employment in the public sector. African Americans are twice as likely as whites to work for city, state, or federal government.
6. Black median household income in 1997 was $25,050. That income level placed about 40 percent of black households in the middle class.
7. This proportion has doubled since 1960.
8. The median income of black men is about $9,000 less than that of white men, but the median income of black women is only about $1,500 less than that of white women.
Don't get me wrong, there are deep problems in the black community. Almost all of it caused by personal responsibility problems and almost none of it because of white racism. There is a CRISIS in the black community with illegitimacy. And the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons of the world should be worried about this instead of what Don Imus is saying.
My point is after hundreds of years of slavery and a hundred more years of segregation, perhaps no people on the face of the earth have improved there lives in a shorter period of time than Black Americans.