Return to Index  

Yes, and No

September 18 2007 at 11:09 PM
No score for this post
Bob  (no login)
from IP address 71.67.141.64

Response to Re: 1957 vs 2007

I'm cool with statistics, though they don't tell the whole story and can be manipulated.

I have worked with/for many elderly blacks who have lamented the disintegration of black families during the past 50 years, and the black-on-black crime prevalent today. These folks told me that in their youth (and despite more blatant racism than is seen today), black couples/families stayed together and black communities supported one another. The past few decades, we have seen increasing percentages of unwed black mothers having babies with multiple men who don't stick around and who may give nothing in support of their children. You see increased drug use/sales, and people have bars over their windows and are afraid to be shot by bullets entering their homes (let alone walking those streets). How is this so much better for "Black Americans"? Yes, many prosper today, but just as with the white populace, there is a growing chasm between the "haves" and "have nots", with the latter folks in desperate straits.

As for today's "big houses", when you look at job loss in U.S. and people living beyond their means . . record high personal bankrupcies . . versus the thrift and save of the 1950's . . . . how is keeping your smaller home less good than losing the larger home you cannot afford?

I think America today is a house of cards, in so many ways. Things can look better than they are . . hidden beneath is a painful reality (but, yes, I think we can try to be hopeful, even in the face of great difficulty . . that point I could agree with).

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. "a house of cards" - Nat on Sep 19, 2007
    1. Re: "a house of cards" - Marseil on Sep 22, 2007
      1. Gravitating Toward The Middle? - Bob on Sep 22, 2007

2. Re: Yes, and No - Marseil on Sep 22, 2007
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement