Return to Index  

"a house of cards"

September 19 2007 at 9:30 AM
No score for this post
Nat  (Login Nafana)
Owner
from IP address 76.101.173.42

Response to Yes, and No

>"America today is a house of cards, in so many ways. Things can look better than they are . . hidden beneath is a painful reality"

Very insightful post, Bob. I think in many ways we are paralleling 1929 again. The 1920s was an era of great social change (moral deterioration?) and apparent prosperity (built on debt) which came to a crashing end with a great depression and a world war.

As Brandon points out, the average person has more material wealth than ever before. And yet I get the distinct impression that not many people are happy or content these days. Perhaps we try to buy happiness with our big houses, big screen TVs and latest hi-tech video games. But it's not working and there is a lot of uneasiness in the country today, a feeling that we are living in a house of cards as you say and that it's about to come tumbling down.

Look at all the interest now in prophecy and pseudo-science. Book stores are filled with books about impending doom. The Discovery and History Channels run a steady parade of "End of the World" disaster scenarios. Google list 3900000 websites about December 21, 2012. There are at least two dozen ways that civilization is about to end, only beginning with 'global warming'.

I don't recall anything like this before and I think it is symptomatic of a pervasive sense many people have, perhaps a subliminal one that they aren't even conscious of, that things are just not going right.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: "a house of cards" - Marseil on Sep 22, 2007
    1. Gravitating Toward The Middle? - Bob on Sep 22, 2007

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement