DumontOctober 4 2007 at 10:02 PM
|Cool beans boi (no login)|
My grandad was recently talking about the first TV he bought back in 1948. He said that The Dumont Network was pretty big until it went bust in 1956.
I did a bit of research and sure enough, there was an old forgotten fourth network named Dumont. I wonder if anyone here remembers it. My grandfather said Jackie Gleason started there, Morey Amsterdam and of course Bishop Sheen had a big show on.
I am wondering why it is so forgotten today. Ironically, the anchor station was channel 5 right here in NYC. Today that station serves as Fox's flagship station. A fourth network made it now, but I guess 4 were too many back then..not enough VHF stations in most cities.
Being a child of the 80's I cannot even imagine only having 3 TV channels in most cities.
- Re: Dumont - Nat on Oct 4, 2007
- Re: Dumont - Brandon on Oct 4, 2007
- Re: Dumont - Cool beans interesting on Oct 5, 2007
- Color TV - Nat on Oct 5, 2007
- Re: Color TV - Bob on Oct 5, 2007
- Re: Color TV - Nat on Oct 5, 2007
- Re: Color TV - Brandon on Oct 5, 2007
- 50s TV - Nat on Oct 6, 2007
- Re: 50s TV - cool beans boi on Oct 6, 2007
- Re: 50s TV - Brandon on Oct 7, 2007
- TV channels- how it's done- - Nat on Oct 7, 2007
- Re: TV channels- how it's done- - cool beans boi on Oct 8, 2007
- Dumont - Nat on Oct 8, 2007