DumontOctober 4 2007 at 10:02 PM
No score for this post
|Cool beans boi (no login)|
from IP address 126.96.36.199
My grandad was recently talking about the first TV he bought back in 1948. He said that The Dumont Network was pretty big until it went bust in 1956.
I did a bit of research and sure enough, there was an old forgotten fourth network named Dumont. I wonder if anyone here remembers it. My grandfather said Jackie Gleason started there, Morey Amsterdam and of course Bishop Sheen had a big show on.
I am wondering why it is so forgotten today. Ironically, the anchor station was channel 5 right here in NYC. Today that station serves as Fox's flagship station. A fourth network made it now, but I guess 4 were too many back then..not enough VHF stations in most cities.
Being a child of the 80's I cannot even imagine only having 3 TV channels in most cities.
- Re: Dumont - Nat on Oct 4, 2007
- Re: Dumont - Brandon on Oct 4, 2007
- Re: Dumont - Cool beans interesting on Oct 5, 2007
- Color TV - Nat on Oct 5, 2007
- Re: Color TV - Bob on Oct 5, 2007
- Re: Color TV - Nat on Oct 5, 2007
- Re: Color TV - Brandon on Oct 5, 2007
- 50s TV - Nat on Oct 6, 2007
- Re: 50s TV - cool beans boi on Oct 6, 2007
- Re: 50s TV - Brandon on Oct 7, 2007
- TV channels- how it's done- - Nat on Oct 7, 2007
- Re: TV channels- how it's done- - cool beans boi on Oct 8, 2007
- Dumont - Nat on Oct 8, 2007