Return to Index  

You Guys

April 5 2008 at 12:48 AM
  (no login)

Response to WWRL

. . are a history of radio, right here on our little forum. Interesting.

I don't have that kind of knowledge, but just a little story. The morning talk host on Cincinnati's WLW, Mike McConnell, was a DJ on University of Dayton's student-run station, WVUD, (99.9 FM) during the 70's. McConnell (a cocky guy, to be sure) has said repeatedly that "I only came to the University of Dayton (from his native Philadelphia) because I knew I wanted to be in radio and they had a university radio station"

I recall a program that came on every week night back then, "Wax Museum" (yeah, records), that played an entire album between 7-8 PM. Not only played, but PROMOTED recording them (and some think file-sharing existed only in the computer age!). At the start, the jock said there would be a tone so that you could set your recording level. Then, a tone would preceed every segment of music (after the commercial break) a tone just prior to each break.

That was awesome for a teen boy who loved new music and had limited funds to purchase. Since they played the whole album, you got to hear tracks you wouldn't hear on radio otherwise. Sometimes they would blend the end of one song with the beginning of another -- something I realized when I bought the album years later, and the silence between the tracks (or the tracks didn't even follow each other on the album) made me appreciate the station version so much more. Sadly, the station was sold to a commercial radio chain sometime around 1980, and there has been nothing like it since (alternative stations here still have a limited play list). I know that Miami University (Ohio) has a similar station, but I have a hard time getting them and they don't have anything like "Wax Museum". Some things were just too good to last.

btw, yes, there is the Yellow Springs (Antioch University) station, that when they aren't carrying NPR programming does play some pretty off-beat music. But, its as likely to be Bluegrass or some other genre not to my liking as to play something of interest.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: You Guys - Brandon on Apr 5
    1. Yes - Bob on Apr 5
    2. Oldies Radio - Dave on Apr 5
      1. Re: Oldies Radio - Nat on Apr 5
      2. WDJO - cool beans boi on Apr 6
      3. 1160 - Bob on Apr 9
        1. Changed a Few Times - Dave on Apr 9

2. College stations - Nat on Apr 5
    1. Strip Clubs - Bob on Apr 5

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement