Return to Index  

Re: Out of Touch?

November 24 2008 at 11:37 AM
Jeffrey  (no login)

Response to Out of Touch?

If you're aware of all the things you say you are, it's perhaps just not relected in posts.

I simply meant to say, and perhaps I did not complete the thought, that world immigration trends reflect a level of global mobility not heretofore seen - a sea change in the ability of peoples to travel far and wide. At one level, it's people travelling freely between countries, even spreading their usual residence between them. I was at a party with some Dutch friends this past weekend where I met any number of people spending several months of every year in both Canada and The Netherlands. A neighbour just left a couple of weeks ago for 6-7 mos in Israel, where she'll share the caring for her aged mother with her brother and following which she'll return to Canada for 5-6 mos. This particular neighbour's also lived in South America and possesses citizenship in Argentina, as well as Israel & Canada. At another level, it's ordinary people, usually well-educated desiring to move from a less-developed land to a more-developed one, often to expand their occupational horizons or even to fill positions requiring less education, frequently positions that the indigenous population have no desire to do. Mobility levels and the technology underlying it allow us to do these things.

The posts just don't reflect a certain level of understanding. I did not intend my post to emit the anti-Canadian response that came forward.

Now that you mention it, I don't quite see why Canadians might feel a little bit superior. In recent years, our PMs have included a nobel laureate (Lester Pearson) and a professor of law and author that decided to enter politics (PE Trudeau). These individuals contrast with the intellect Of the current US president. Of course, it's not only Canadians that possess this feeling about the current US president and who welcome a new president who's achievements and intellect reflect some higher level of achievement and aspiration. And there is perhaps a different approach to managing political and ethnic stress between Canada and the US. Canada had the Hureclean task of accommodating 3 founding peoples in the 19th century (French, English and Aboriginal) and decided to do so.

See John Ralston Saul's recent book, A Fair Country. Saul himself reflects some of the differences in leadership class between our 2 nations. This new work marries his intellectual status as a major philosopher and author (Club of Rome) with his recent experience as the life partner of Canada's head of state.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. President Bush - Nat on Nov 24, 2008
  3. My Perspective - Bob on Nov 24, 2008
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement