Return to Index  

Electronic Tubes

April 11 2010 at 11:51 AM
No score for this post
Bob  (no login)
from IP address 99.67.184.6

Response to Glowing bottles

I remember that when our old B & W set was having problems, we would open the case, pull all the electronic tubes out of the chassis (marking which went where) and go down to a store that had a tube testing machine (some tubes obviously had a problem -- you could see burn marks in it, or it was supposed to have a little orange light but didn't). I'd read the letters/numbers printed on the side of the tubes, set a switch or two as directed on the machine, look for the appropriate sockets to plug them into (some also had a wire to connect to a metal post on top of the tube) and the machine would tell if the tube was OK or not. Then, you just bought the defective tube(s), go home and plug them all back into the set. And it worked! I thought it was cool to be able to do this.

I wish I could do this now. I have this 8 year old 32" JVC tube set that stopped working -- when I plug it in and push the power button, the timer light starts flashing and the set does nothing. My hunch is that it could easily be fixed, but I can't just pull tubes out to check them. Probably would pay someone $100 just to come out to check it, then the cost of part(s) and labor for the fix. I'm afraid that I could spend half or more in repair that I would spend just going out to buy a flat panel set. I have been looking at flat panels, but between being cheap and not wanting to toss out a salvageable set, I haven't done anything about it yet. (I paid $699 in 2002 for the JVC, and I've been looking at 40" LCD's for about $500).

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Electronic Tubes - Nat on Apr 11, 2010
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement