Return to Index  

Wartime rationing

April 14 2010 at 12:24 AM
No score for this post
Nat  (Login Nafana)
Owner
from IP address 98.208.226.3

Response to Ice boxes.

Yes, we people born after WW-II have no concept of what it was like living in those war years when there were shortages of everything. There has never been anything like it since. When I got into the broadcasting business I loved hearing the older timers talk about this era and the tricks they had to do to keep their stations on the air when you couldn't get parts. Certain large stations that were considered essential for the war effort could get anything they wanted direct from the government but all the others had a tough go of it. Many operated at reduce power to save tubes and some just went off completely.

You know, when I see the incompetence of our government now- and going back 40 years- I find it amazing how quickly and completely our government and manufacturing industries were able to completely restructure our society for fighting a world war in a matter of weeks. I don't think we could do that today. It's been nearly ten years since the World Trade center was destroyed and people are still arguing about what to build to replace it! We need another 1940s generation to get this country straighten out on track again!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Amen, Brother! - Bob on Apr 14, 2010
  3. Right you are! - COOL BEANS BOI on Apr 14, 2010
    1. re WLW - Nat on Apr 14, 2010

4. The greatest generation - Nat on Apr 14, 2010
  6. Re: Wartime rationing - BlueTrain on May 4, 2010
    1. WTC vs ESB - Nat on May 4, 2010

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement