Return to Index  

Amen, Brother!

April 14 2010 at 8:55 AM
No score for this post
Bob  (no login)
from IP address 64.128.234.253

Response to Wartime rationing

I too marvel at the generation that grew up during the Great Depression and then fought and won WWII. To call it "The Greatest Generation" is very appropriate. I noted previously that I continued to attend reunions of my father's Navy shipmates even after Dad's death, because they and their wives are such wonderful people. I think the times mold people. I think having to endure such hardships while young, and then having to fight the noblest and bloodiest of wars . . and returning as the conquering heroes . . . all before most of them had turned 30, gave them a certain mettle. I think it would have been an awesome time to have been an American -- certainly my parents thought so.

They told me about rationing -- how people saved the tin foil that chewing gum was wrapped in, how people saved rubber bands into a ball, and then turned them in for recycling, how gasoline was rationed. They also told me that everyone they knew was glad to "do their part" for the war effort and to "support our boys". That generation really believed in their President and govt. I agree with you -- we are a very different country today and would have a harder time tolerating deprivation of conveniences and believing pols' admonishments that sacrifices are needed and assurances that resources would be utilized in the right ways (more likely, we would think our sacrifices were going to line the pockets of the rich and powerful!).

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement