Return to Index  

Heard same as you

April 21 2010 at 9:50 AM
No score for this post
Bob  (no login)
from IP address 64.128.234.253

Response to The Shroud of Turin

I've heard that attempts to verify or dispute the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin have been unsuccessful. There is neither indisputable proof that this is an image of Jesus nor indisputable proof that it is not an image of Jesus. (I have not heard an explaination such as you offered, but it certainly is plausible).

Like most other aspects of religious beliefs, little can be proven one way or the other. You either believe or you don't. Personally, I don't think the absence of proof renders a belief invalid. Certainly, we make all kinds of assumptions before the scientific method can be applied, so if we choose to believe in unprovable underpinnings of science, why not engage in an unprovable belief in a power that created all things?

Unlike some, who only want to look at evil acts that were perpetrated under the guise of religious faith, I prefer to look at the far greater number of daily kindnesses that most major faiths teach that their followers should practice. I am not much of a church-goer these days. I don't often pull out a Bible to read scripture. But if someone wants to pray, I will. If someone wants to say "God bless you" or "May God bless your family", I thank them. I do believe in the existence of God.

And, more important, I agree with a comment I read many years ago (don't recall who wrote or said it): If there were no gods and no religion, it seems necessarity that mankind would create them. Man needs a way to explain the unexplanable, to feel that there is some purpose to life and some control and plan governing events and the natural world. When I told this to one of my professors, he nodded anmd said, "Yes, that is a comforting thought." Yes, it is.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Heard same as you - Nat on Apr 21, 2010
    1. Different types - Bob on Apr 22, 2010
      1. Perfect pair - Nat on Apr 22, 2010

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement