Return to Index  

Re: Here is what happened

May 6 2010 at 7:54 AM
No score for this post
BlueTrain  (Login BlueTrain)
from IP address 98.141.224.66

Response to Here is what happened

Excellent posting but I think you're a little guilty of selecting your facts to fit what you're trying to say, the same as I'm about to do.

My father, who was I guess a member of the greatest generation, was drafted (as were most of them) at age 28 and was 31 when he got out of the army in 1945. But that was a little older than average. He was one of 12 children but the only one that served. He was the youngest and the rest were all too old. I, on the other hand, was 22 when I got out.

I had enlisted but most of those of the Vietnam generation were drafted, too, and although there was none of the current flag waving "support the troops" you hear all the time now, they went anyway. I'm always a little bothered when I see those "support the troops" bumper stickers because it is free pseudo-patriotism. It costs nothing. My son also served in the army and went to Iraq for the last 15 months of his time.

I know I often dispute what people here post but I'm about to do it again. Contrary to what you may believe, baby boomers did not all enjoy every material possession. In fact, I'd go so far to say that they had opportunities for work that teenagers no longer seem to have. When did you last see a teenager working in a McDonald's or gas station. I'm not so sure that's a good thing or a bad thing.

While we may or may not have thought a lot of ourselves, the critical eye we supposedly had was something that we were taught. Eventually we saw lots of things that our parents ignored, pretended didn't exist, didn't know about, or simply believed was the way things ought to be. I live in a state where a few counties actually shut down their school systems to avoid integration. Something like that tends to sour your high ideals of the American Way.

Say it ain't so, Joe.

I also think we have had administrations that have seemed to believe that we should have policies that enrich the rich. Remember the trickle down theory? How much made it down to you?

There's more but I'm not up to a long academic exercise on just two cups of coffee.

Have a nice day.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement