Return to Index  

Re: What is "nudity"?

June 10 2010 at 11:27 AM
No score for this post
BlueTrain  (Login BlueTrain)
from IP address 98.141.224.66

Response to Re: What is "nudity"?

What you say is true but I was living in a suburb of Washington, DC, in 1973, very metro but I can't confirm how liberal it was. Anyhow, that is entirely correct about what nudity is defined as, more or less. Funny in a way. Still, no place is that far back in the woods any more, and wasn't then, either, although you are still correct in that some places were more liberal, other places either conservative or reactionary, at least on the surface. A lot goes on beneath the surface.

I suppose all generations are in the middle, sooner or later. I had a neighbor who always dressed up to go to town (two blocks away) and wore a hat and gloves, same way she dressed to go to church. Another neighbor, the mother of my best friend, often wore short shorts and halter tops in hot weather, yet wore "house dresses" the rest of the year.

Boys often wore blue jeans, which only came one way (new), but only a couple of men that I recall wore jeans. One of them wore "dungarees" that had a strap and buckle across the back just below the waistband. In fact, I never saw him wear anything else but they never looked worn. The other man who always wore blue jeans kept horses and always was dressed in a sort of Western style.

Those of my age and myself didn't dress like adults so much, except on Sundays, but there were some fads that only the kids indulged in, like pegged pants. I doubt if many kids would have seen that as testing the limits of society's tolerance, it was just a fad, although there were no doubt other things that did. I just can't think of a good example at the moment. But most of us kids weren't spending much time around grown-ups if we could help it, so there wasn't much "envelope-pushing" going on. As we got older, however, close to graduation from high school, I think that would have been more true, like the thing with cut-off blue jeans or just plain tight jeans. Bell bottoms and all of that stuff came along a few years later. I imagine that's when things really changed.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. "Envelope-pushing" - Nat on Jun 10, 2010
    1. Changes - Bob on Jun 11, 2010
      1. Re: Changes - BlueTrain on Jun 11, 2010
        1. Instruction - Bob on Jun 11, 2010
          1. Re: Instruction - BlueTrain on Jun 11, 2010
      2. Tans & grades - Nat on Jun 11, 2010

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement