Re: Nude sleepers

June 17 2010 at 12:35 PM
No score for this post
Nat  (Login Nafana)
Owner
from IP address 98.238.88.102

Response to Nude sleepers

Hi Jenn. Welcome to Potpourri. happy.gif
I hope you will continue to join us here as we really need more posters for this forum.
We discuss a lot of interesting topics here and would love to hear your views on them.

As to your question, same-sex nudity was not a concern when I was growing up in the 1950s-60s but its a different world now. Back then homosexuality was such a taboo subject that it wasn't even talked about in public. Most people scarcely knew it existed- and certainly not to the extent that it does. So same-sex nudity seem harmless and it was routine for boys to swim nude at YMCAs and summer camps and everyone showered together in a communal shower after school PE.

All this began changing with the "Gay Rights" movement of the 1970s. Then the "AIDS" epidemic in the 1980s when it became known that that a number of famous celebrities (ie- Liberace, Rock Hudson, Robert Reed) had been secretly gay for years when they contracted AIDS and died.

Suddenly everybody was aware of homosexuality and that it was far more common than they thought. This meant that same-sex nudity now took on sexual connotations it had not had in more innocence times and it was greatly curtailed in all public situations. Today I don't think there is nude swimming at any YMCAs or summer camps. Most school no longer require showers after PE and most kids don't take them.

So I'm sure that many parents are concerned that if their child is nude with other boys it might encouraged homosexuality. I don't think there is evidence of this- current thinking is homosexuality is a born trait- not a learned one- but I doubt you will convince such parents otherwise.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement