Return to Index  

The Beauty Test

June 22 2010 at 9:11 AM
No score for this post
Jenn  (no login)
from IP address 64.12.116.197

Response to And you said I was crazy . .

Ok - well - I have to say this is the kind of post that makes it clear that many "men" still have the minds of "teenage boys". Seriously? This is what you are concerned about - that the people who choose to go topless or "clothing optional" won't live up to your tv-magazine-spray-painted image of beauty? And by definition that ONLY "beautiful" people should be "allowed" to enjoy their skin?

Look - I do all right - my body is in shape and I get my fair share of attention (sometimes more than I want) - so I am comfortable with my body - and am raising my boys to be as well. My boys are in shape, but if they weren't I would raise them exactly the same way.

My mother used to talk about "the beauty test." Look around you - ask yourself, of the people you can see (we are talking REAL LIFE - not magazines and tv) how many would you "switch bodies" with? And if you wouldn't then you probably consider yourself better off than that person. Guess what you are going to find - most people (the vast majority)are NOT great-looking - could not be "models". Just like most people are not amazing singers (go to karaoke night!) But we still let them sing. Most men are not great dancers - but we still let them dance. But if I'm not "beautiful" then I should feel ashamed of my body and my skin. Well - honestly - FORGET YOU!

I work with people on a pretty regular basis who are trying to get healthy, lose weight, etc. And I tell them all - if you don't learn to love your body now - no matter how much you lose - you will always see yourself as being ugly. This is how bullemia and similar diseases get started. No matter how much they lose they are still "fat" or "ugly" - and have you seen the effects of that disease? Would THEY be ok to go naked?

Seriously - what happened to the days when we accepted that people come in different shapes and sizes? I'll tell you what happened - magazines and television selling us an unrealistic view of our world. Look in the mirror - I bet a lot of people wouldn't switch places with you either - and that means YOU shouldn't be able to go to a beach?

Shame on you!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Unrealistic expectations - Nat on Jun 22, 2010
  3. Re: The Beauty Test - cool beans boi on Jun 22, 2010
    1. Obsesssed - Nat on Jun 22, 2010
      1. Re: Obsesssed - cool beans boi on Jun 22, 2010
        1. Re: Obsesssed - Nat on Jun 22, 2010
          1. Re: Obsesssed - cool beans boi on Jun 22, 2010
            1. Offending - Nat on Jun 22, 2010
              1. Re: Offending - Brandon on Jun 22, 2010
                1. Hide the flab and die sooner - Nat on Jun 22, 2010
                  1. Re: Hide the flab and die sooner - Brandon on Jun 22, 2010
                  2. Re: Hide the flab and die sooner - Nat on Jun 22, 2010
                  3. Re: Hide the flab and die sooner - COOL BEANS BOI on Jun 24, 2010
                  4. Health- not aesthetics - Nat on Jun 24, 2010

4. Not My Intention - Bob on Jun 22, 2010
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement