Return to Index  

Re: Your ideal era?

August 27 2010 at 11:38 PM
No score for this post
Bob  (no login)
from IP address 99.67.184.6

Response to Your ideal era?

My grandfather, who was born in 1900 and died in 1973, used to tell me that he lived during a most important time: advent of the automobile, manned flight, the electric light bulb, the phonograph, radio, silent and then motion pictures, prohibition and the flappers and the speak-easies, refrigeration, television, antibiotics, man going into space and landing on the moon. He wouldn't have wanted to live during any other time.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression and were the generation that fought and won that noblest of wars, WWII. They were still young as conquering heroes, returning to a grateful country that was on the verge of its greatest period of prosperity, and a country that urged them to marry and have several children so as to populate the country. Family was so very important then. He especially enjoyed the music of his era -- the Big Band sound -- and the great movies, actors and singers. My father told me that he saw great struggles ahead, starting in the mid-1960's and worsening after 1980. He died in 1995, and I know that he preferred not to see further decline of this country he loved and defended. I think he was happy with the time in history when he lived.

As for me, I look back fondly on the 60's; Who doesn't look back fondly on their youth? But also, I enjoyed the music and all the exciting, if sometimes troubling, social changes and new ideas that occurred then. But, since about the mid-1970's, I would also have to say that I think my country and society has been going down the wrong path. Especially the animosity between men and women, the high divorce rate, under-parented children, the rise in crimes, a country increasingly divided into feuding factions, a country that looks to be going down the drain of unbelievable debt and internal decay. The music sucks, and the internet is not enough to make up for all the other negatives. I would have to say that I would prefer to have lived in my grandfather's or father's time rather than my own.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Yep - Nat on Aug 28, 2010
  3. How Could I Forget? - Bob on Aug 30, 2010
    1. Re: How Could I Forget? - BlueTrain on Aug 30, 2010
    2. Artificial food - Nat on Aug 30, 2010
      1. Re: Artificial food - BlueTrain on Aug 30, 2010
        1. Re: Artificial food - Nat on Aug 30, 2010

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement