Return to Index  

Don't Get Me Wrong

November 30 2010 at 12:53 PM
Bob  (no login)

Response to Re: No relevance

I have great interest in the not-too-distant past (100-200 years, or even longer ago) and how that relates to the modern era. I was one of those wierd kids that enjoyed hearing my grandparents talk about their youth and how things used to be than. It kind of humanized them to me. Instead of thinking, "That is the past, its gone. Stop living in the past, old man!", I thought, "He was once young like me. He knew young love and lost it too. I was eager to drive, and so was he . . I wanted a Trans AM, and a Pierce Arrow was his fantasy car."

One of my sayings is, "Times change, but people don't." We have all this different technology, access to information and ways of thinking about things that is so different than 50-100 years ago. It is easy to think the distant times and now have little to do with each other, but in fact people really haven't changed so much. We still have dreams of things we want to do and achieve. We still (most of us) cherish family, friendships and long for love and a love relationship, and perhaps children. We still lament our losses and disappointments, still wonder about the meaning of life, both when we are young and as we approach the end of our lives. Not so different.

Actually, I really enjoy others' personal stories and what they think about things. I don't want to discourage discussion and differences of opinion -- I'd like to explore them even more. I tend to think I'm right, but I also hope I am not so close-minded as to be unwilling to consider when I might be wrong.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Shorpy - Nat on Nov 30, 2010
  3. Re: Don't Get Me Wrong - BlueTrain on Nov 30, 2010
    1. Connections - Nat on Nov 30, 2010

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement