Return to Index  

Anti-Americanism

February 8 2011 at 1:09 PM
Bob  (no login)

Response to Re: Dangerous times

On NPR this morning, they interviewed a shop owner in Cairo, who said that Americans are leaving Egypt due to (he believes) a mistaken fear for their safety due to anti-American sentiment. He said the Europeans don't have such concerns and are not so quick to run (thus, might patronize his business). Made me think again that Americans tend to have this concern that people in other countries mostly resent us. Four years ago, Marseil reassured me that the French would not be hostile toward my son during his visit . . so long as he didn't boast of being American and insinuate that France and Europe are not up to some standard (actually, he told me that he was treated well generally, and that he received the colderst response when he visited London). I'm sure there are a number of places where being American would get you killed. But, I also think the numbers of such places are not nearly as high as our fears lead us to believe. (Don't get me wrong -- If I were in Egypt, I would high-tail it out of there too! No sense taking chances with one's life.)

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Anti-Americanism - Nat on Feb 8, 2011
    1. Meddling - Bob on Feb 8, 2011
      1. Re: Meddling - Nat on Feb 8, 2011
        1. Maybe I agree? - Bob on Feb 8, 2011
          1. Read your history books - Nat on Feb 8, 2011
            1. Empire - Bob on Feb 9, 2011
              1. The real threat to the US... - Nat on Feb 9, 2011
                1. Some call U.S. "empire" - Bob on Feb 9, 2011
                  1. Re: Some call U.S. "empire" - Nat on Feb 9, 2011
                    1. I agree with you, more than not. - Bob on Feb 10, 2011
                      1. War or Victory - Marseil on Feb 21, 2011
                  2. Back in the mid 50's - Marv on Feb 9, 2011
                    1. Russian paranoia - Nat on Feb 10, 2011

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement