Return to Index  

Good point

March 4 2012 at 7:18 AM
Bob  (no login)

Response to Re: Happiest States

I hadn't noticed that. Then again, notice how in other contexts a seemingly smaller difference is noteworthy. If our unemployment rate rises or drops by even 0.1%, all the news agencies are reporting it, as that still represents a lot of people. Likewise, a local TV news program noted that my local area has a somewhat smaller percentage of males than the national average (I think about 0.2% less) and asked, "Where are the men?" Again, I guess 0.2% still represents a lot of people, though it seems on the face to be a slight difference.

It would be interesting to see the data on happy vs. less happy states charted as a bell curve, and then statistical analysis to determine actual significance of the scores. An eight point spread may or may not be significant. Also, the criteria selected to denote "happiness" might not accurately measure or predict that vague and elusive condition. For example, making unhealthy lifestyle choices was considered indicative of reduced happiness. But who is to say that a person who smokes or eats fatty foods is less happy than someone who does not? I think you can have been habits and enjoy them. I have!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. A better indicator... - Nat on Mar 4, 2012
    1. Factors in Population Change - Bob on Mar 5, 2012
      1. California - Marseil on Mar 5, 2012
        1. Are you saying? - Bob on Mar 5, 2012
          1. Re: Are you saying? - Marseil on Mar 7, 2012
      2. True, but.... - Nat on Mar 5, 2012
        1. Re: True, but.... - BlueTrain on Mar 5, 2012
          1. "Settled" vs "populated" - Nat on Mar 5, 2012
        2. Re: True, but - Bob on Mar 5, 2012
          1. What "happiness" means - Nat on Mar 5, 2012
            1. How About the Heat? - Bob on Mar 5, 2012
              1. Re: How About the Heat? - Nat on Mar 5, 2012
                1. I see your point - Bob on Mar 6, 2012
                  1. People are different - Nat on Mar 6, 2012
                    1. Cold can kill - Bob on Mar 7, 2012
                      1. Temperature extremes - Nat on Mar 7, 2012

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement