Return to Index  

I see your point

March 6 2012 at 12:57 PM
Bob  (no login)

Response to Re: How About the Heat?

I'm sure energy costs year-round are less in Florida than Ohio. But looked at another way -- comfort while doing things outdoors -- if Ohio is 15 degrees, one can don a sweater, coat, scarf, hat and gloves and can still move around in relative comfort. But when Florida is 95 degrees, and unless you are in air conditioning or the water, what can you do to cool off? You could strip down to nothing and still be hot.

I've heard this point made a number of times by people who say they can deal with cold better than heat -- for example, the elderly -- because the cold doesn't limit their activities as much as heat does. I think it also varies by the individual . . whether you are a person that can deal with being too hot more than being too cold, or vice versa. Speaking personally, there comes a point both ways when temp extremes hamper me. I can function in heat up to about 87-88 degrees (outdoors, not indoors!) without much problem, especially if there is shade. I can function in cold down to about 5-10 degrees without much problem. On those occasions where the temp here is 95 degrees F or higher, with our humidity, the heat saps my strength and I cannot hardly stand to go out of the air conditioning. If I do go out, I quickly wilt and may even feel nauseous. When the cold has gotten down below 0 degrees or so, I feel like my body is stiff and doesn't want to move, even with adequate clothing. Add in wind chill and it can be even worse. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of days here of either extreme, so barring car trouble I am usually fine either way. I think probably scraping ice off the windshield, or if there is "black ice" on the pavement where I'm driving, are the biggest hassles for me. My nephew, on the other hand, prefers temps around 50 degrees and he wilts even faster than me at temps above 80.

Good thing we aren't all alike or 300 million Americans would be living on top of each other!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. People are different - Nat on Mar 6, 2012
    1. Cold can kill - Bob on Mar 7, 2012
      1. Temperature extremes - Nat on Mar 7, 2012

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement