Return to Index  

Re: Marseil in America - highways

March 13 2012 at 7:41 AM
BlueTrain  (Login BlueTrain)

Response to Re: Marseil in America - highways

It is disturbing to realize that toll roads are making a comeback in the United States. Originally, of course, many roads (not quite highways yet) were toll roads. Some of the newer highways and bridges built in the 20th century were also toll roads, usually referred to as turnpikes. Now we might call it privatizing the roads.

I haven't driven much in Europe, all of it confined to either trucks in Germany when I was in the army (stationed in Augsburg) or in the U.K. last year. That was an adventure. It was disappointing that there are hardly any "real" British cars around for ordinary people. Gone are the Triumphs, Austins, Rileys, Rovers, and MGs. We wound up with a Volkswagen van that not only had right-hand drive but a six-speed manual transmission which of course had to be shifted with my left hand. The first half-mile was rough but after than, I was fine. Actually the biggest problem was having so many gears.

The roads in Great Britain were perfectly fine, however, and completely indistinguishable from an American highway. Getting through the small towns was not so easy but not much more difficult than it is here. But even here there are cities with an old center (of town) that has narrow streets. I also had trouble with the roundabouts, but only fron a direction standpoint. Anyway, we survived.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Right vs Left - Nat on Mar 13, 2012
    1. Re: Right vs Left - BlueTrain on Mar 13, 2012
      1. Re: Right vs Left - Marseil on Mar 15, 2012
        1. Re: Right vs Left - Chris on Mar 15, 2012
        2. Non-standard standards - Nat on Mar 15, 2012
          1. Re: Non-standard standards - BlueTrain on Mar 15, 2012
            1. Re: Non-standard standards - Nat on Mar 15, 2012
              1. Perhaps, but... - BlueTrain on Mar 16, 2012
                1. Trust - Nat on Mar 16, 2012

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement