Return to Index  

Common Problems

April 4 2012 at 12:56 PM
  (no login)

Response to French elections

Certainly France is not alone in running a deficit and national debt, and the possible remedies being discussed are not unique either. As in my own country, there is the debate about whether to cut govt spending and/or raise taxes. From the article, it appears that raising taxes is the more politically tolerable option in France (whereas in U.S., it tends to be cutting govt spending that rank-and-file Americans favor . . at least until their favorite program is to be cut). My impression is that French taxes are already high, as are taxes in any European country that supports an impression social welfare system. If that is true, how much more can taxes be raised there? (I just saw on the news two days ago that U.S. now has the highest corporate tax rate "in the industrialized world" at 39+% -- that obviously includes France, so where do the high tax revenues come from .. . from the average French citizen?)

The other familiar comment in the article is that French workers get paid excessive wages. Again, many Americans say the same about American workers. To be compettive, they say, workers need to accept less . . or see their jobs continue to be out-sourced to lower-wage countries. Is the same said about French workers?

It seems funny to me how workers' pay is allegedly too great . . but (at least in U.S.), the pay of top execs and the profits of large corporations continue to be HUGE . . . and the % of the country's wealth held by a few people continues to increase and increase. So, where is the REAL problem? Is it REALLY the "little guy" worker who is greedy and expects too much . . or is it REALLY the wealthy bosses and their companies that have been way too greedy and have the bank balances, spread sheets and stock portfolios to prove it? I think the latter.

Marseil, what is your take on all this, as it regards France? . . the European Union?

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Money corrupted government - Nat on Apr 4
  3. Re: Common Problems - Marseil on Apr 28
    1. Re: Common Problems - BlueTrain on Apr 30

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement