Return to Index  

The Average American Can Be Trusted

July 25 2012 at 8:50 AM
  (no login)

Response to Re: Does That Say More About the Guns or the People?

Yes, the violent crimes that receive heavy media coverage, such as that in Colorado, get everyone's attention. I think that is due to the numbers of people killed, that the gunman was someone expected (medical school student with no prior criminal record), and especially the unwelcome realization that anyone can be engaged in the most innocent activity (e.g., watching a movie) and yet be killed. Contrary to the scenarios in which we are not surprised to see violence, sitting in a suburban movie theatre seems like a pretty safe place to be. The Colorado event shakes that belief, so it disturbs us more.

But if you added up all the sensational crimes like this, the head count would be relatively low compared to daily street crime and domestic situations. We just don't hear about the latter much because, frankly, no one is surrised when gun fire occurs between rival gangs protecting turf, or in an urban club where alcohol is flowing and guns are present, or when a man catches his wife with another man and shoots them both.

The average American CAN be trusted with guns. I don't have any concern that my neighbors have guns. In fact, I feel a bit safer not owning one myself if others close to me have them. The only situations in which I truly need to be concerned about gun violence are some sort of domestic dispute. If I am strongly mistreating someone in my family, I might get shot. If I am sleeping with another man's wife, I might get shot. I don't use illicit drugs, so I don't go where they are sold or used, and I don't associate with people in that lifestyle. I could get hit by a stray bullet passing through other parts of town, but I don't see that as very likely to occur and I don't worry about it.

Contrary to Blue, it is the smaller segment of American society that commits a large percentage of the violent crimes that I fear having guns. If we could disarm those people, most of the problem would be solved. The typical American is not going to shoot me without a good reason, so I don't worry about them having guns.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: The Average American Can Be Trusted - BlueTrain on Jul 25
    1. "But even a violent criminal . . " - Bob on Jul 25
    2. Agree with Bob - Nat on Jul 25
      1. Re: Agree with Bob - BlueTrain on Jul 26
        1. Evil people - Nat on Jul 26

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement