Return to Index  

USA Pulling Away

August 12 2012 at 1:20 AM
Bob  (no login)

Response to Anyone watching the Olympics?

I assumed that China, with 4 times the population of US and a dedicated program, a la the Soviet Union, of identifying and rigorously training from a young age its most promising youth, would dominate these Olympic Games. But while China clearly dominates in certain events, they are very lackluster in others. The USA is assured now of winning the medals count.

As an "ugly American", I celebrate that. But on the other hand, I wish we could get past the Games as a medal count phenomenon. Better yet to celebrate the individual accomplishments, regardless what country they hail from. In this spirit, I enjoyed watching the events in which the smaller countries prevailed. While the US can celebrate 44 gold medals and over 100 medals to this point, there are countries that have never medaled in anything. And many countries for whom a gold medal is a legendary accomplishment. I am glad for the fans in those countries who occasionally can revel in a great accomplishment. I think that is a more important success than whether US or China or Russia or any other athletic power prevails in the medal count.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Life's inequities - Nat on Aug 12, 2012
    1. Believe it or not, - Bob on Aug 13, 2012

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement