Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Password Problem
    • (no login)
      Posted Apr 27, 2006 10:28 PM

Yes -- and No. Yes, I received responses to my question. The solution (per my limited knowledge) is to install the Linux OS and access the password=protected files via that. They recommended going to a site called knoppix and getting the free download. The problem is . . . while the site has some English contents, most of it is in German (I don't read it) and what English there is . . its so darn techical that I'm not sure I would know what to do. I checked out the FAQ (frequently asked questions), and some were of the sort: What happens if (name how your computer could screw up) results from booting from the knoppix disk?" Screw ups? Not something I want to rush into!

Unless I had a bonafide computer geek at the helm, I don't know that I want to try the offered solution . . . even if (as one suggester noted) it "works like a charm". They noted how "cool" it can be to have Linux and Windows installed on the same hard drtive -- yeah, that might be interesting, beyond the immediate desire to get to the afforementioned files. But, neither do I want a non-functional computer.

Another option might be to pull the hard drive back out and take it to the computer guy at work, who agreed to look at it and see what he could do. My own knowledge is just to limited . . . I have always subscribed to the Clint Eastwood character's motto: "A man's gotta know his limitations". Well, I do!
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement