No score for this post
Cool beans boi  (no login)
from IP address 69.115.146.171

Some BIG New stories this past weekend.

1. The oil spill in the Gulf
2. 17 inches of rain in Tennessee
3. Car bomb found is Times Square

WOW, may we all live in interesting times

On number 1... I wonder how the drill baby drill crowd will feel once this oil hits the Redneck Riveria.

2. Let's all have good wishes for the people of Tennessee and the midwest that the damage is not too bad. I heard they actually had an evacuation plan for the Kentucky Derby just in case a tornado struck.

3. A bomb in Times Square on an 80 degree Saturday night could have been a tragedy. Let's all hope they catch this clown soon. Times Square has over 80 cameras so the law will catch him.

On a side note, one of our PBS stations runs cameras all over the city on the digital 2 frequency...On Saturday as the Nissan was being investigated, the cameras were shut off. I guess the police were already checking the tapes.

Thousands of tourists were kept from their hotels until the wee hours of the morning. One family I saw on MSNBC had a 9 year old child with them. I understand someone in the area saw the broadcast and offered them lodging.

WOW what a weekend!!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

"living in interesting times"

No score for this post
May 3 2010, 7:45 PM 

Yes, "living in interesting times" is often seen as a curse- for the news is almost always bad. At least the NY thing could have been much worse. But wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to spend a fortune just to keep from getting blown up. The weird weather and many earthquakes are also a part of the end-times scenario.

At least the NY bomb threat is over. The consequences of gulf oil leak is just beginning and will be a curse for years. Even though our beaches are hundreds of miles away it is expected water currents will eventually bring the sludge even down here.

By the way- hardly any surveillance cameras record on tape anymore- they record on harddrives. Tape is virtually obsolete in all applications now.

BlueTrain
(Login BlueTrain)

Re: "living in interesting times"

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 11:34 AM 

Have we not always lived in interesting times?

Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 2:31 PM 

Well the news people always find something to talk about- but during the '80s and '90s I don't recall the country facing any serious problems like it does today. We were not fighting foreign wars or worrying about being blown up by terrorists or running huge budget deficits or seeing all our factories close up and move overseas, or losing our competitive position in the world or being overrun by illegal aliens or global warming and so forth. In fact the biggest thing the news media had to talk about during the 1990s was Bill Clinton's sex life.

BlueTrain
(Login BlueTrain)

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 3:01 PM 

Don't remember the '80s, eh? Unemployment hit 10.8%, there was the stock market crash of 1987, there was the S&L crisis, the national debt went from 700 billion to 3 trillion (I don't even know how much a trillion is), there was a disaster in Lebanon when a bomber blew up a barracks and killed 241 US servicemen, Grenada was invaded, the first space shuttle blue up, and not much else happened.

Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

No comparison

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 3:49 PM 

None of those things match what we are dealing with today- the unemployment peak was short-lived while many experts think our unemployment today will remain high indefinitely because we have lost so many jobs to overseas. We hardly make anything in this country anymore. The S&L "crisis" back then effected few people compared to millions who have lost their homes now. 3 trillion national debt?- hell- it's almost 13-trillion now- and rising! It was falling during Clinton's administration! And even before the latest stock market crash NASDAQ never reached the levels it was when Clinton was president. And you compare 241 servicemen in Lebanon with THOUSANDS killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?- not to mention many more thousands on 9/11- there is no comparison!

BlueTrain
(Login BlueTrain)

Re: No comparison

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 4:06 PM 

What do you think the next decade will bring? Given all that is happening with leaking oil wells, hurricanes, volcanos, and I don't know what all, do you think we should try human sacrifice?

Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

No score for this post
May 4 2010, 4:40 PM 

No, I don't believe human sacrifice will help but I am pessimistic about the future. I think the USA is in the decline that eventually happens to all great countries and the young people today will be the first generation to have a lower standard of living than their parents. I'm glad I'm ending my career and not a young person starting out because they are going to have it a lot harder than I did.

Brandon
(no login)

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 10:52 AM 

Perhaps if we started electing candidates to Congress and to the Presidency that were brave enough to tackle these problems and understood how economics work than we could avoid this declining standard of living.

This quote has been going around the internet and no one seems to know who actually wrote it, but it says exactly why America is in decline:

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of
entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to
limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the
necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate
willing to have such a man for their president.

The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is
a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should
not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their
prince.

The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a
fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those
who made him their president."

BlueTrain
(Login BlueTrain)

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 10:59 AM 

So you're saying that we are our own greatest danger? Or rather, do you mean that all American voters (except yourself) are their own worst enemies? And are you implying by that that we shouldn't be allowed to vote for whoever pleases us because that's too risky?

Brandon
(no login)

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 11:58 AM 

"So you're saying that we are our own greatest danger?"

Yes, as we get further away from the concepts and ideas that made this country great. The entitlement mentality that more and more people have is what is changing this country and not for the better.

"Do you mean that all American voters (except yourself) are their own worst enemies? "

Obama got 53% of the vote, so I don't blame the 47% who made the right choice in 2008.

"Are you implying by that that we shouldn't be allowed to vote for whoever pleases us because that's too risky?"

No, I prefer to live in a representative democracy even though you run the risk as we did in 2008 of the majority of voters choosing foolishly.

BlueTrain
(Login BlueTrain)

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 2:26 PM 

Can you please elaborate on those concepts and ideals that made this country great? And when did we peak, as far as greatness goes?

Brandon
(no login)

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 2:56 PM 

I'm not sure there was any kind of "golden era." In terms of wealth, health, life span, leisure etc. right now is a pretty good time to be living in the USA.

The concept that made America great besides our constitutional government was the entrepreneurship of the people. Most of us are either immigrants or are descended from immigrants who came to this country to seek a better life for their families. These people had the courage to leave their home country and escape from tyrannical, feudal governments.

John Gartner (John Hopkins professor wrote in his 2005 book, The Hypomanic Edge, "a 'nation of immigrants' represents a highly skewed and unusual 'self selected' population."

Economist John Tamny said "It's no surprise that every industrial boom--from oil in the 19th century, to autos in the early 20th, to technology in the late 20th century--was largely characterized by American entrepreneurs."

Now we have someone in office like Obama who believes the Western European system of "cradle to grave" security is better than America. If this kind of thinking prevails, America will be in decline.

Marseil
(no login)

No score for this post
May 7 2010, 5:54 PM 

"I prefer to live in a representative democracy even though you run the risk as we did in 2008 of the majority of voters choosing foolishly."

It is interesting to notice an enlightened dictatorship is often more efficient in the long term that a democracy where politicians in place have to set up policies with cosmetically positive short term effects and disastrous long term effects in order to win the next election. This is opening the way for all kind of populisms. ANd politicians do play on the nationalist issues. Some dictatorships have been more efficient than democracies: Chile in the 1970s was richer than all other Latin American countries. And, nowadays, CHina has got much better long term infrastructure development policies than the US or Europe. Their monetary policy is Laos much more beneficial to them than the European one to the Europeans or the US one to the USans. Also Singapore is very efficient in terms of economic development and raising the standard of living of Singaporean citizens;

This does not mean that I'd be happy to live in a dictatorship. I'm happy to live in a messy disorderly democracy!

Also, Brandon, do you still you still prefer the fool that had been appointed in 2000 and elected in 2004? And who is responsible for the economic financial and economic crisis, and who led the world into wars?

Marseil.

Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

The decline

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 11:57 AM 

Well the decline began far before Obama so it pointless to blame him. It's as simple as the fact that we can't compete with countries like China who can make things much cheaper because that have a cheaper labor force.

Now we can look back at mistakes we made here in America that help bring this about. China and other far-eastern countries use to be no competition to us because they were backward agrarian countries with no manufacturing base. Ironically- it was our own companies seeking lower labor costs that gave them that base- and now it's all backfired on us with them not just supplementing our industry but replacing it. How can we compete with that without lower our wages and standard of living to theirs so we can make things as cheaply? And how many American would want to live on a Chinese wage?

Brandon
(no login)

Re: The decline

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 12:02 PM 

I'm not blaming Obama. My point is that 53% of the voters being foolish enough to elect Obama is the result of this decline.

The mentality of the Obama voter is what will continue to push our country downward.

Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 12:07 PM 

Why isn't the blame with greedy manufacturers who gave China the factories that are now replacing ours?

Brandon
(no login)

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 12:15 PM 

The problem with jobs is not "greedy manufacturers" moving factories to China but governmental policies that keep the economy from growing.

Here's a detailed response:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/thornton/thornton20.html

Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

No score for this post
May 5 2010, 1:23 PM 

Good right-wing propaganda, Brandon.

The fact is American wages have been stagnate and declining. Good paying factory jobs with good benefits have been replaced by low paying low-benefits service industry jobs. A country can't be great when it depends on other countries to supply it's needs.

What's more it puts us in a very vulnerable position- the reason we won World War II was because we had the best factories in the world and were able to supply everything we needed both at home and for the war. If such a international conflict broke out today imports would be the first thing cut off and our stores would be filled with empty shelves.

Brandon
(no login)

No score for this post
May 6 2010, 1:11 AM 

Instead of just dismissing the article I linked as "right wing propaganda," why don't you point out where the writer is in error?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement