<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Windows Security Essentials

July 3 2010 at 11:33 PM
No score for this post
Bob  (no login)
from IP address 99.67.184.6

I believe I mentioned here about my problems with anti-virus programs (stop updating) and concerns with having a virus. I can't find the thread, so I started this new one.

I downloaded Windows Security Essentials from the Microsoft download site onto my 5 year old Windows XP desktop, and thereafter my computer slowed way down. Seems I recall someone here recommending Essentials, but they noted it takes up a lot of system resources. I surmised this might have been the cause of my desktop slowing down -- has a Celeron-equivalent processor and less that 1 gig of RAM.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a good price on a laptop and decided to buy it. Really nice . . . 17" screen, dual core processor, 3 gigs of RAM, 320 gig hard drive (I'm typing this on it right now). I decided to try Security Essentials instead of keeping the short (60-90 days) trial versions of Norton and McAfee. This laptop has not slowed at all -- loads very fast. So, maybe that was the problem with the old computer . . . insufficient resources.

I still plan to keep the XP computer, mostly because I had bought a 22" monitor for it a few weeks ago. Also, I have some peripheral equipment that won't work with Windows 7.

Just thought I would mention this, in case anyone might be interested.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nat
(Login Nafana)
Owner

Re: Windows Security Essentials

No score for this post
July 4 2010, 10:07 PM 

I tried Windows Security Essentials last year on my Vista computer and it crashed it every time. Pretty weird since it's a MS program! Right now I'm using Panda with Win7. Panda is different that other virus programs because the database is kept on at their server so your computer only has a small client program. This is suppose to reduce the resource load on your computer and keep the database more up to date. I don't know how well it works but I haven't had any virus problems since I began using it.

Any computer will slow down in time because the registry and harddrive just gets filled up with a lot of crap- fragments of old files and programs. So the best thing you can do is save your data files to another drive and reformat and reload the OS every year or two. It's like cleaning out the cobwebs.

R
(no login)

Laptops as desktops

No score for this post
July 10 2010, 1:44 AM 

MSE does take a lot of RAM, and sometimes takes a lot of CPU time. Sometimes it slows down my laptop, which also has a dual-core CPU and 4GB of RAM. But it reportedly takes less out of your computer than many other anti-virus programs, and it's programmed with Microsoft's current best practices. That makes it less vulnerable than many other anti-virus programs. Also, it's free, and integrates with Windows's built-in automatic updates.

I think that keeping the old computer for the monitor is a poor decision, unless you have no other monitor for it. My laptop has an adequate GPU, and I attach a 20" monitor to it. I'm sure your laptop can run its 17" screen and your 22" screen simultaneously, and the edition of Windows 7 will permit an extended desktop, so you can get a really wide view.

Or, my monitor is an IPS display, so I can rotate it and get a really tall display for reading and writing. I keep my email and status indicators open on my laptop's screen, and type on my big screen.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement