Welcome to the IPMS London Message Board and Discussion Group. This is a forum for sharing news, asking questions, suggesting tips and posting images related to building and painting models of all scales, as well as communicating information about IPMS London club activities. You can Search for a single key word by clicking the "Search" link in the list below. The Search results will appear in this frame. To post a link or an image, simply type in the URL (web address) of the destination page or image. The URL will appear as a link (for an HTML link) or an image (for a .jpg link) when posted. You can use the Preview facility to see how your message looks before posting. To return to the main IPMS London website, click on "Go Back".

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Potential new member?

September 7 2003 at 9:49 PM
J.S. Lehrer  (no login)
from IP address 67.69.172.161

Hello all,

I'm an avid 1/35th scale armor modeler who's just recently moved to London. I've pretty much settled in here, having repaired the three models I was able to transport from Montreal and finally have enough time to find out a bit about the local modeling community.

I stumbled onto the IPMS London webpage and was wondering a couple of things. First off, how does one join up?, and secondly, what are the meetings like?

Anyway, thank you for the info,

J.S.Lehrer

P.S. yes, I've already discovered the joy that is McCormicks Hobby store

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Scott Taylor
(no login)

Joining Up

September 8 2003, 12:31 AM 

Greetings!

The info for our meetings is on our home page, so I assume I don't have to go into the "3rd Tuesday of the month" thing. Basically, that's when we meet, and you are more than welcome to come on out and try a few meetings before committing (if memory serves, our policy is first 3 meetings free, so you basically wouldn't have to sign up until the new year). Our meetings usually have some sort of seminar, but there is plenty of time for socializing, looking at people's built-up models/new acquisitions/works in progress, etc. We have a strong armour contingent in the club, so we would be happy to see you! Feel free to bring anything (or nothing, if you are so inclined) - a model that you have completed to put on the show and tell table, anything new that you might like to show off, or something to work on. We really try to encourage people to work on things.

Drop me an e-mail if you'd like more info, and I can pass on my phone number if you'd like to give me a call.

Cheers,

Scott

P.S. Glad you found McCormick's. Air Support Books in Kitchener is another must-see in the area! Folks from the club do fairly regular road trips up there (since it's only an hour away).

Respond to this message   
Adam Rehorn
(no login)

Welcome!

September 8 2003, 10:18 AM 

Nice to see another potential member.

Scott has told you most of the details, of course. However, I just wanted to give you my take on our meetings.

I was in the same position (in relation to IPMS London, that is) as you this time last year. I didn't know what to think about the club, but figured I'd take a chance and attend a few meetings.

It was great. I've found that our club is extremely friendly and open. I've gotten a lot of insightful tips and useful advice from the people in the club, and in the past year I have definitely improved my skills.

I'm always pumped about modelling when I leave a meeting, and always itching to try something new. Before I joined, I had basically reached what I thought was the highest level of proficiency I could achieve. However, thanks to the help of everyone in the club, I've gone beyond that now. I'm airbrushing, experimenting with different glues, gloss coats and paints, I've even been inspired to take on weathering and making little display bases. The club has really inspired me to push the envelope for modelling.

It's true that many of the memebers are armour guys, but I'm a Sci-Fi/plane guy, and it's still been helpful. I've heard a lot of horror stories about IPMS groups that are very 'clique-y', where armour doesn't talk to planes, and everyone shuns Sci-Fi. Here, however, there's none of that. If you bash plastic, you're welcome.

It's great.

I really encourage you to come out to the next meeting!

Adam Rehorn

Respond to this message   
Jamie Grant
(no login)

Hello there.

September 8 2003, 10:44 PM 

I am sorry that I have not responded sooner as I seem to have been very busy in My new venture "school". I to would like to welcome you and would hope to see you out at the September meeting. On the 16th. Most of the information needed should be on the Web site but if you need any other info please feel free to call me 473-0514. Jamie Grant.

Respond to this message   
J.S. Lehrer
(no login)

Thanks everyone

September 9 2003, 6:43 PM 

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I suppose, assuming its at all possible, I'll be attending the next meeting and see how that goes. Who knows, perhaps I'll bring my M10 TD, 8inch M115 or new leopard 2a5 models!

Seeya next meet,

J. Lehrer

Respond to this message   
Scott Taylor
(no login)

Great!

September 9 2003, 11:25 PM 

Hello:

I look forward to seeing you (and them!). I took some shots of the 8 inch howitzer at the WWII Vehicle Museum at Hubbard, Ohio a little while ago. Would you be interested in scans?

Cheers and welcome,

Scott

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server. In addition, this is not a forum for the public criticism of any models that appear on this website. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author or via the contact page of this website.