Respond to this messageReturn to Politics Board
Original Message
  • Re: Democracy! Is it working to the benefit of Governing Papua New Guineans???
    • Joh Pestus
      Posted Jun 12, 2006 6:45 PM

A good insight into our 'broken democracy'.

I guess the idea/discussion I intend to stimulate and conjure up is that I think too much DEMOCRACY (or Too much freedom and equality and rights) has a soft spot for punishing white collar crimes.'How do we deter public figures stealing from public funds? Or what is the penalty for 'Organised Crime'? And as it has been pointed out it is the dysfunctioning parts of governance, which are facilitating the mushrooming of organized crime (corruption rot) in PNG which is manifested in notorious street crimes and law and order problems in PNG. I think the arm that needs to muscle up now is the judiciary and its enforcing arms of governance. How do we legislate and meek out punishment that is fitting for those tugs in public offices and that will also deter them if we pass laws (like death penalty) that we fail to enforce and in doing so actively promoting a two type of justice system. One for the non-beauracratic and a seperate one for the beauracratic?

While low life thieves are getting killed by the law enforcing arm of governance for petty crimes high life criminals are getting away on a life's lease. What could be a better deterrent for those aspiring white collar tugs!

The non-beauracratic violent street crimes will stop when the rot stops at the top and punishment is seen to be fair 'eye-for-an-eye tooth-for-a-tooth' by all the sectors of the community. I only stop short of thinking up a better deterrant!

Pestus
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options