<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board  

PNG STUDENTS SUFFERING........

December 14 2005 at 10:34 PM

Dear readers, we the PNG students have suffered from two solid years until now. We have'nt received any assistance from the government like pocket allowances.Eventhough we have been sponsored by the Indonesian government but allowances are not paid.Apart from it the food, accomodation and school fess are paid by them.Therefore, I want to raise my complain to the government especially the National Education Department and the Office of Higher Education if there is any possibilities to assist us.Well, Indonesia is not our country and we are not going to develop Indonesia. We are the people of PNG and we are the ones who will help in building our own country (PNG).

As a senior student here in Indonesia, I've seen many of our PNG students packed up and went back home because of no assistance from the National government and the Provincial government of which they have came from.
Therefore, I really want the government to help us.

For further information about this complain or about our study condition here in Indonesia, please send e-mail to this address:

wassmannz@yahoo.com

Thankyou very much and merry christmas to you all.

concerned student
Bandung
Indonesia.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Indonesia long wanem?

December 14 2005, 11:05 PM 

You're right, Indonesia is not your country and you are not going to develop Indonesia.

PNG can no longer afford to educate our people overseas, especially when many never come back, and those who do more often than not apply foreign ideas that have no relevance to the PNG situation and thus result in an unending series of collapsed developments.

I suggest you all apply to complete your studies at UPNG or UNITECH. While they aren't the best academic institutions, I can't believe that they are any worse than what is in Indonesia.

Who on earth had the idea of you all studying in Indonesia in the first place?

Respond to this message   
Mumut

Re: Indonesia long wanem?

December 15 2005, 12:15 AM 

Bro, I'm very sympathetic but can't help it. I think, it depends on who initiated/sponsored your study there. If it was the government's decision to allow you to go there, I am very sorry that you're facing such a problem. The government through the OHE should help. However, there are bunch of people there who lack understanding and effeciency so I don't think you can hope for something better from them. My advice is, do some part-time jobs there and complete your studies despite how hard it takes or better go back to PNG institutions. All the best and stap gut.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

December 15 2005, 1:30 AM 

Frankly, most Indonesians don't have "pocket money". When in Indonesia, PNG students probably should suffer the way that the average, non privileged Indonesian has to suffer. Then they will start becoming very clear what kind of life you have when most people have lost their land, when most families have procreated like rabbits, when the people have allowed government to take over development, when corruption is allowed to dominate, and when the rich are allowed to get richer while the greater numbers of poor become poorer and poorer. That's life in Indonesia in general and those who study in Indonesia, if they learn nothing else, should look around them and see what horrors are in store for PNG if we don't shape up REAL fast. Indonesia, incidentally has lots of factories and foreign investment and has any of that solved the problems? I also have the question about why anyone would want to study in Indonesia instead of studying in PNG.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

December 16 2005, 9:04 PM 

Iam very sorry to here that. I suggest you write an open letter to the Government of PNG, National training Council(NTC), PNG embassy in Indonesia, Foreign Affairs, and the DPM.

Since all your living expenses are paid by the Indo-gov, K50 - K100 pocket allowance a fornight or even a month should be sufficient to help you with the essentials.

I recommend that you organise yourselves, as a group, and send an open letter with all your signatures. I believe that this may also be a matter for the government to take up with indonesia as a bilateral issue.

Once again my heartfelt sympathy, however strive hard with your studies as such trails and challenges with build your character, don't give up and keep at it. Organise your selves and be creative to survive in such and situation.

Respond to this message   

WHY INDONESIA LONG WANEM?

December 16 2005, 10:25 PM 

This message has been edited by 7milebeach on Dec 19, 2005 6:07 PM

Respond to this message   
huh?

Re: WHY INDONESIA LONG WANEM?

December 16 2005, 11:15 PM 

Exactly what useful thing have you learned from Indonesia, the land of corruption?

Respond to this message   
Mumut

Wantoks, don't be offended. Keep trying.

December 17 2005, 7:08 PM 

Let's be realistic. Hun? up there is confused and is biting his/her own tail. The problem is that most of our countrymen and women who are studying in Indoneisa are because of scholarships being provided; something which most of us can't afford and let's be thankful to the sponsorers. That remains the reason why our Wantoks are in Indonesia and why are you being so blunt by accusing them of leaving PNG. Those of you who are accusing them are shallow-minded people who are not helping our friends in this time of urgency but creating more headache for them. Wantoks, once again, Mumut stap wantaim yupela. Keep trying as the other anon as mentioned and don't be offended by kids like Huh?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Lesson-don't let the smell of money close your eyes

December 18 2005, 12:30 AM 

However this should be a valuable lesson for anyone else who simply gets blinded by the smell of money and goes wherever the money tells you to go. You have to keep your eyes open. If people offer you money to jump off a cliff you don't do it. Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons and check everything out carefully.

Respond to this message   
Mumut

Re: Lesson-don't let the smell of money close your eyes

December 19 2005, 2:43 AM 

Anon, you are so stupid. How will they know the pros and cons at the first place? Traim na skelim toktok bipo yu tok. Trangu, sori long ol. Mumut stap wantaim yupela.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Lesson-don't let the smell of money close your eyes

December 19 2005, 8:02 AM 

I'm amazed that anyone on this board would doubt how someone can learn the "pros" and "cons" of anything they might be contemplating doing

These students could have assessed the pros and cons when they were in PNG the same way any person, anywhere in the world finds out. Ask questions. Figure out potential problems ahead of time then find out to what extent they can be solved with available resources. Pursue. Think. Analyse.

They students seem to have been to UPNG and so had access to the world wide web. From that alone a large amount of information can be found that is helpful. Does UPNG teach web surfing techniques?

In short: therer are kinds of ways to open your eyes and assess what you're doing before you do it. But the first thing is that a person's mind has to be awake, really awake and spinning wheels.

It's not totally the students fault that they didn't do this. It's the fault of a horrible PNG education system that never teaches people to think or analyse, only to memorise and regurgitate. It is remarkable, for example, how many students can do maths quite well, but give them a real life business problem that requires those maths skills and they haven't a clue how to apply those skills to solving the problem.

These students seem very sure about what they came to Indonesia to learn, but don't seem to be able to tell us anything of substance.

There are students who have studied in Indonesia before, I'm almost certain.

The terms of the scholarship whould have been in writing, or the students should have insisted on it before they left PNG shores. From that they would have seen there would be no pocket money.

If there is any hoping or dreaming that was involved in this, that's what gets us in trouble. Faith strengthens us, but don't rely on faith to solve problems that are already staring at you right before your eyes! :-)

Respond to this message   
OWL

HANG IN THERE

December 21 2005, 10:25 PM 

Guys hang in there until you complete your studies. It is difficult and you do need immediate financial assistance like any other students in other foreign countries. While I do not want to dwell on the kind of sponsorships available to PNGians, my suggestion is for you to dig deep and complete your study. Our Tumbunas have walked mauntains and rugged terrains and have suvived. So be strong like our forefathers until you complete your studies. Hang in there Wanalain.

OWL

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: WHY INDONESIA LONG WANEM?

October 20 2009, 10:54 AM 

Your posting is one of the best I've read in weeks here. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: PNG STUDENTS SUFFERING........

December 22 2005, 6:30 AM 

Hey bro,

hang in there! sooner or later you'll reap the dividends of your labour. Don't worry about money from our inconsiderate Office of Higher Education, Provincial Governments or the National Government - as long as you got a roof over your head and food to eat to keep you going till you complete your studies.

When I was at school I didn't have any guardians, parents, or relatives to assist me. No money! bro mi save boilim pure rice na kaikai taim mi hangere. Sometimes I go without food na save kaikai dry kokonas tasol. I watch parents and relatives of my friends come along with food and stuff for their kids na mi sore long mi yet. And I made a promise and told myself that after 10yrs I am not gonna be like this. Bro, my encouragement is work hard. I am now in the United States reaping the fruits of my labour. I don't see any of those well fed kids anywhere close to where I am! I'll be doing my intern with the World Bank Group and hope to work with them or an international organization after completing my Masters in a couple of months.

Make sacrifices today for tomorrows success bro.. stap wantaim you!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

yu tok tru yah

December 22 2005, 7:05 AM 

Exactly. The hardships that many have endured to complete their education goes far, far beyond not having pocket money.

Respond to this message   
Tokpisin

Re: yu tok tru yah

December 30 2005, 7:44 PM 

Please stay there and come home with your papers. Taitim bun na stap. Sacrifice now, complete your studies and come home. See you can contact your wantoks at PNG (Parents, friends) who can send you atleast $50-100 a month or so for food etc.

Guys, you are already in Indonesia. Don't give up, complete your mission and fly home.

Congrats & merry new year to you all in Indonesia. "Lukaut long terrorists"

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - PNG STUDENTS SUFFERING........
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board