The Recent events in Wewak, EAst Sepik Province goes to show the extent at which Yangoru Politics can go.
I am refering to the New Generation Party Launching that was blocked of by the police force. Although the cops claim that there wasn't any political influence.
Heres a brief of events leading up to date.
1. NEC Sacks Bart Philemon as Finance minister and also Thaddeus Kambanei (Secretary for Fanance). Both Initiated the District Treasury roll out program that was run nation wide and still in it's initial phase when it was abruptly stopped by Prime Minister Micheal Somare. You'll notice Yangoru Saussia MP and ESP Governor Peter Waranka (National Alliance) was part of the NEC Decision making.
2. Yangoru MP Peter Waranaka then blows the whistle on certain Fraudulent cases in the Finance Department. Jacob Yafai a senior officer in Finance Department gets charged for misappropriating a relatively huge sum of money. He goes into hiding and Police put him on a nation wide wanted list. What people probably don't realise is that he is also a Yangoruan and a close relative of Yangoru MP Peter Waranka.
3. During one of the PAC inqury hearings Former Finance Secretary Thaddeus Kambanei is quted as saying "I will not allow my reputation built over 29 Years to be tarnished by ONE TERM Politicians".
It comes as no surprise that Yangoru MP Peter Waranka has only been a member for one term. In fact less than a term. He got elected after the Yangoru Saussia Bi election in 2005.
4. Bart Philemon forms New Generation Party (NGP) and He and his new Party delegates go to the East Sepik to Campaign about the Parties policies. What better place to hit than the home of Sir Micheal Somare and Yangoru Saussia MP Waranaka.
5. THe NGP Launching last weekend is stopped by Wewak Police.
Bart Philemon must be crazy to recruit Thaddeus Kambanei into the NGP executive; or is it a deliberate extension of their relationship in the form of Party Leader-Party Executive? Like it or not, believe it or not, like birds fly together. This relationship stinks.
Whilst Bart, as the former Finance Minister, was busy balancing the books, he gave free rein to Kambanei as former Secretray for Finance to open the tap to public monies; and a classic example is the payment of exorbitant legal fees in settlement of legal bills to Paul Paraka Lawyers. NGP is doomed in Yangoru. Good one Coppers. How the hell do they expect to manage the affairs of PNG when the Department of Finance under their stewardship lost hundreds of million of Kina? Keep these two thugs out of Sepik politics.
Yes it is time for New Generation leaders for a new era in PNG Politics. Somare and the NEC are Just jealous that Bart Philemon was taking all the credit for the Financial Reforms in the Country. Cheif Somare doesn't want Bart to take his place, he wants the power to flow down his blood line (His son Aurthor).
This just goes to Show that some Melanesian values (i.e Sons of Cheifs inheriting leadership) will never be ridden from the blood. Em stap lo system pinis ya.
So Sir Micheal Somare, Honarable Yangoru Saussia MP (and East Sepik Governor) Peter Waranaka and the rest of the National Alliance Clan can all go and jump in the lake.
Mr Bart Philemon is the right man for the job. Former Finance Secretary Thadeus Kambanei has every right to take Mr Philemon to his Home Province (East Sepik) and Face that Uncircumcised Goliath (The NA Party).
I Nominate Mr Thaddeus Kambanei for Yangoru Sassia Open Seat. WHY NOT?
Then Bart can be Prime minister. Mr Kambanei can Finance Minister. That Way they can carry on with the Financial Reforms in Papua New Guinea.
It seems the Public Service is a private entity of the Sepik Mafia so every public servant is answerable to them for matters not of national, but political, personal and family interests.
It is disgusting to note that the Police command in Wewak is now being politicised. No doubt, that direction came from the politicians of the province, notably the 3 National Alliance MPs.
One thing all sensible Papua New Guineans wishing for and can be assured of is this:
"Gabriel Dusava will be the next MP for Yangoru-Sausia, for heavens shake that's one down for the NA". Bart Philemon will be leaving to head NGP and Sir Peter Barter will be retiring due to work pressure. It is believed Sir Peter's retirement from NA and politics is due to the heavy handed tactics of the Sepik mafia. So even before the 2007 elections commence, that's three down for NA.
For the Sepik Mafia, your days are numbered. Once the fall from the grace of power happens it will be a long, long way to the bottom.
The Sepik Mafia should know full well that if not for the power plays of Pais Wingti in the run-up to the formation of the current government, Sir Mekere Mourata would be the Prime Minister in this term of parliament and an ideal candidate too. Sir Michael would have been still the opposition leader and I believe that's where all the Sepik Mafia are headed after 2007 general elections for 10 overwhelming reasons:
1. The Moti Affair where over K1 million of public funds are now being wasted and also the image of the government being dragged into the bad books of good governance which is one of the ruling coalitions party philosopies
2. The director-general of NSAC and chief secretary blocking the PNG Defence Force Board enquiry to be heard in public. At most, this ploy is only to serve the interests of maybe 10 Papua New Guinean's higher up in the power chain and not the 5 million people of PNG who have the right to this information.
3. The Sepik Highway Trust funds being misused for purposes not intended for.
4. If not for Bart Philemon's resolve, Sir Michael would have brought in more foreign debt to the country
5. The rushed ammendments to the NCDC ACT 2006 which in everyway is in stark contrast to the principles of good governance, transparency and accountability
6. Patrick Pruaitch doing everything using people's power bestowed on him with the best of intentions from his constituents, either legally or illegally to protect the interests of illegal loggers who plunder PNG's forests and force PNG labourers into horrendous working conditions only fit for slaves.
7. Causing instability to many government departments including the police force by not having the resolve to make permanent appointments. Who's interests is this indecisiveness serving? The PNG citizens and residents who are the source of power to our MPs in parliament or the Sepik Mafia?
8. Buying of votes for the Yangoru-Sausia electorate. In the last few days of the recent bi-election K10 000 each was dished out to all the 4 LLG presidents who swung the momentum of voters in favour of Peter Wararu and the NA. Let it happen this time but the other 3 presidents have become wiser and woken up to accept the money and place their votes elsewhere.
9. Wari Vele firing unjustified criticisms to the arch-bishop of the Catholic dioceses of Port Moresby, Sir Brian Barnes and CCAC members including TI PNG and Media Council. For the record the arch-bishop serves only one master and like what Jesus did in questioning the rulers/governors at that time for their misdeeds, the arch-bishop is doing likewise for the greater, long-term benefit of his flock in NCD and PNG as a whole. NCD belongs to the citizens and residents of PNG and not one governor who claims to have the support of the settlements and grassroots. It is interesting that the governor forgot to mention that this city is also made up of public servants, white or blue colar workers, unionists, women's groups and the elite of PNG. How can a governor who should be impartial in representing the interests of all NCD residents discriminate against certain groups of people in NCD? Isnt it better to have a balanced board representing a wider cross section of NCD so this governor doesnt take things personal? At the end of the day it is the residents of NCD who will suffer when matters become personal. In a nutshell it already has! Who is to blame? The Sepik Mafia!
10. Papua New Guineans' have no woken up to the fact that NA is run by the Sepik Mafia and the affairs of 5 million people of PNG is treated with less consideration. Priority has and will always be to secure power for the Mafia by hook or crook!
For Good Governance, Transparency and Accountability.
Gabriel Dusava was ousted by the courts once. His misdeed was in him authorising an advance of K60000 to himself which was K50 000.00 beyond the legal limit when he was Secretary for Foreign Affairs Department. Besides being ousted by the courts after having won the 1998 general elections, he had also repaid this amount in full to the department of Foreign Affairs towards end of 1997. He was the runner up in the 2002 elections and also runner up in the 2005 Yangoru-Sausia bi-elections after a leadership tribunal found the former member, Bernard Hagoria guilty of directing all district grants into his personal account for personal use.
In the 2005 bi-election, Peter Waruru won that election and again Gabriel Dusava was the runner-up. However, this time around West Yangoru LLG, Numbo LLG, Sausia LLG are fully backing Mr. Dusava. That leaves only East Yangory LLG to vote for Peter Wararu na olgeta pride man blong East Yangoru.
No one is taking heed of PAP's numbers. It is currently the second largest party in parliament, only second to NA. It's been very silent at the political front and I believe it will have the numbers to form the next government. Gabriel Dusava would provide some of the much needed steel and direction to this party, headed by Gabriel Kapris of Maprik. Tonny Aimo of Ambunti/Drekikir is also a party member. Gabriel Dusava is an enemy of the NA and would be good to have him in PAP so Gabriel Kapris is not controlled by NA's Sepik Mafia team of Somare Snr, Somare Jnr, Patrick Pruaitch and Ben Semri (count out Peter Wararu because he is not coming back to parliament).
Mangi West yangoru for Good Governance, Transparency and Accountability
The news on the Sausia LLG supporting the Dusava faction is totally NOT TRUE.
The people of suasia LLG have realised their past mistakes and today everyone knows what are sweet talk is all about in times of elections.
Please dont waste your time and efford talking about people of sausia LLG.
The people of Sausia LLG already have their own man.
Mangi West Yangoru Dont mistreat the people of yangoru-Saussia about the people of sausia LLG. The people Saussia LLG already have their own men contesting and their all backing them.The Sausia LLG havent seen anything in the past years when the seat was held by politicians from yangoru.They only saw a bit of light when Mr.B. Hagoria was the member for only 18 months.
Please dont waste your time and mislead the people of yangoru-Saussia.
Re: Sepik Mafia on the way out come 2007 elections.
May 30 2007, 4:39 PM
.........you know what, name callings like 'Sepik Mafia' only adds fuel to fire. Sepiks thrive on such brandings and will live it up to that name's expectations. I am sure small pockets of Sepiks spread around the country and back in the 'promis land' have already known about 'Sepik Mafia' and would be more obliged to be identified with this name branding.