<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board  

BULOLO MP - HON SAM BASIL

October 2 2008 at 4:35 PM
Anonymous 

For those of you from Bulolo Open, Morobe Province. What do you think about the current MP?

I think he is one of the best Member Bulolo Open has ever had.

Others who would like to comment are also welcome.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ANON 12345

Re: BULOLO MP - HON SAM BASIL

October 6 2008, 3:48 PM 

mi no blo Bulolo. Mi no bilong Morobe tu...TASOL SAM BASIL EM BEST YAH!!!

Respond to this message   
Anoymous

TRU BORN LEADER!

October 7 2008, 8:51 PM 

i CAN ONLY SAY THIS: TRU BORN LEADER NAD POTENTIAL PRIME MINISTER CANDIDATE!

Respond to this message   
Anoymous

TRU BORN LEADER!

October 7 2008, 8:51 PM 

i CAN ONLY SAY THIS: TRU BORN LEADER AND POTENTIAL PRIME MINISTER CANDIDATE!

Respond to this message   
In the know...

Timothy Tala MP was was coined "The man who was born to lead".

October 8 2008, 2:45 AM 

All,

I've no idea how genuine the posting was, but, if we're not careful, history somehow, somewhere reveals its ugly head all teh time!

Care to pinch your brain cless and recall Barnabas Orere's article "Timothy Tala - The man who was born to lead" (PC 10 Feb 2004)?

In that interview, Tala said many things, among them, promising development initiatives for the Imbonggu people. Here are selected excerpts;

• "From birth, I was destined to be a leader. I dreamed of becoming a leader. I enjoy nothing more than being a leader."

• “I am 30 years old; I am a young man. I want to be a leader and stay in Parliament as long as I can...as long as the people want me in here, I shall be their leader.”

• “I am thinking of a bank for Imbonggu'u; a savings and loan society, because commercial banks are no longer suitable for rural people".

• “I will also set up an association that will empower Imbonggu'u people to tap the initiatives I deliver".

Noble words indeed. Today, not one of these rhetorics was achieved as an MP for Imbonggu! Today, he's totally engaged in bedroom politics; solving problems of his numerous wives and concubines!

Point is: Don't be too early to pass judgment on the performances of Hon. Sam Basil. 5-year tenure as an MP is a way too long in politics! Be still, and wait...

In the know....
07 octobre 2008

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

RESPONSE TO THE KNOW

October 8 2008, 12:41 PM 

If you follow Sam Basil well you would know. HE IS AN ACTION MAN. HE DOSEN'T PREACH OR WASTING TIME TELLING REPORTERS WHAT HE WISH TO SEE HAPPENING IN HIS ELECTORATE IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS.

He has done alot for his electorate in a short while since voted in. Yesterday (8/10/2008) in Sambio village in Bulolo District he launched 3 ambulance for 3 sub health centre and another addition of a bulldozer for the Bulolo District Rural Road Maintenance Programme.

There are other various projects which have been launched already. Search in the daily newspapers archives (PC & National)

Have witnessed it.

Respond to this message   
MO

MP SAM BASIL, is still the best!

October 8 2008, 4:56 PM 

We wish all our MPs were all like MP Basil. The country will truly go...

I am a professional in NCD, and must congratulate the people of Wau, Bulolo, Mumeng and the surrounds as your choice as one of the best Sons of the Country. Congratulations.

I have no voting rights but this MP is no mistake....

MO

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: MP SAM BASIL, is still the best!

October 18 2008, 7:54 AM 

I have stumbled across some Bulolo's project highlights in this blog. just log on to access,

http://malumnalu.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

Re: MP SAM BASIL, is still the best!

October 18 2008, 9:24 PM 

Is it the mining boom or his doing? Somebody is doing a good PR job for him.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

SAM BASIL IS THE BEST SO FAR

October 20 2008, 3:39 PM 

The mining boom can be attributed to the former MP, John Muingnepe. He was instrumental in attracting Harmony Gold of South Africa to come and develop Hidden Valley and Hamata gold project.

Anyway, Mining boom is not the issue here.

The main issue here is that the current MP is really setting pace by delivering services to his people in Bulolo Open Electorate by using those funds made available to him by the National Government.

No empty promises and courting of media to detail his vision for his electorate. He delivers and invites the media to publish it. That's the type of MP PNG really needs!!!.

Sam Basil your still the best so far. I hope you'll rock Governor Wenge to start thinking seriously and critically to get rid of the "Pothole City Tag" off from Morobe's Provincial capital Lae.

Pothole Dweller

Respond to this message   
ronnie

mining a disaster

October 22 2008, 2:05 AM 

mining boom will give people quick money which will be quickly wasted. then people end up with no money and destroyed land. how is that an improvement or even a real development? this is what has happened everywhere else in png.mining ends up destroying peoples lives how much more proof do you need other than panguna, ok tedi, pogera, etc? theres no development to show in any of those places. only politicians and local con men end up profiting from mining.

Look first at the evidence before yu mouth off about how wonderful mining is for us.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Is Sam Basil another people destroyer?

August 24 2009, 12:48 PM 

Whoever brought the mining boom to Morobe should be charged, prosecuted, convicted and hanged for destroying the water supplies of local people in the Watut area. This has been in the papers again and again already. Who was responsible for it? Obviously some self serving MP.

KILL THE BASTARD WHO BROUGHT IN THE MINE!!!!!

Is Sam Basil continuing this nonsense of destroying average people's lives and well being so that the government can get mining tax and a few local kon lida can make off with royalty money and spend it in the top POM hotels?

I don't know for a fact whether this Sam Basil is good or bad but cmon people. When will it get thru your thick skulls that MPs usually get elected because they're either expert at stealing votes or they do a good PR game to make themselves more important sounding than they actually are.

Respond to this message   

Sam basil

June 6 2009, 1:09 AM 

As trained journalist, any news article reported on two dailies...the PC and National, regarding Basil's initiatives in Bulolo district...whatever set inplace was physically witnessed. those (basics)wwere should people benefited for last 34 or so years. But bulolo's are fortunate.

From which accounts these dollars were ssubtracted to be used, No Lae journo's will deny. never, two dailies or three electronic media's in Lae will deny sigthing of Bulolo districts treasury document.

wanna comment, check Pisai at National Lae Bureau on 4721660/71197708

cheers
Pisai Gumar

Respond to this message   
blak rabis pipol

Re: Timothy Tala MP was was coined "The man who was born to lead".

October 20 2008, 3:40 PM 

no one seems to understand the point you made unfortunatly but it was a good point and probably applies to bulolo MP. Man of action is often man of corruption in png.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

October 20 2008, 3:49 PM 

That name suits Timothy Tala but not Sam Basil (RE; Action man is also corrupt). Unless you know of something which we don't know about.

Tokaut na Tok stret....

Observer

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

Sam Basil

October 20 2008, 5:21 PM 

I contested against Sam Basil for our seat and I concede that the best person won it.
I am so proud of his achievements and will always be there to assist him in any small way.
John Muingnepe did not attract Harmony as Morobe Consolidated Goldfields did this themselves.John Muingnepe could not attract a fly to a piece of meat.-
Sam has had a lot of things going his way but he has been here to take advantage of the opportunities and all over PNG we need practical and experienced business people to help make new laws and run the country and not just a mob of parasites to spend their funds in Moresby without going out in to their electorates and doing any work.

Respond to this message   
MO

MP SAM BASIL, is still the best!

October 20 2008, 6:22 PM 

Meri Wau,

I do not work for the so called MP for Bulolo, neither am I a parasite to his funds as inferred by your derogatory remark about the Moresby mob of parasites that spend funds without going out in to the electorates and doing any work...

Only God knew and that is why MP Sam Basil got elected. Hon Sam BASIL is such a fine MP that for those us non parasites and non Morobeans, we just admire the way he conducts himself... He will go a long way unless the people of Bulolo disagree.

A question to you, will you run again in 2012? Which seat will you try?

Respond to this message   
Bulolo Pukpuk

Luther Wenge bowed down to Bulolo's Demand

October 20 2008, 6:43 PM 

I remember listening to the ABC Radio broadcast of the Bulolo MP's Demand for the 50% of the 36% from the 2% Royalty from the Hidden Valley Gold Project. The MP threatened to shut the mine down if Mr Wenge refuses to give in and guess what ! Morobe Provincial Govt. has agreed to give back the 50% OF 36% which will be used for building the much needed infrastructures of the Wau & Bulolo Townships. Bulolo has learnt from the past and must repeat itself again, good on you Bulolo.

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

Sorry MO,you misunderstood me

October 22 2008, 5:48 PM 

I am sorry you misread what I was trying to say.
I am very proud of Sam Basil and what he is acheiving for his people.I was meaning that he is hardworking and an experienced and practical minded person and that is just the kind of politician we need.
He is doing a great job and I would not dream of standing against someone who is already doing a good job.
Politics would never have brought me anything but a lot of hard work,of which I have had a lifetime of- and I would have stood behind John Muingnepe had he done a good job.Even Samson Napo at the time,had he performed well.The point is,they did not but at last we have someone who deserves our assistance to make our electorate a better place.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

The fight for Wau Bulolo is not won yet!!!

October 23 2008, 12:43 AM 

Meri Wau, very good point.

I wish all intending candidates in the future will have the same aspiration or reason to contest elections. While individuals have the democratic right to contest a election, it comes at the cost of denying a quality leader. As s result we have MPs in Parliament only to serve themselves and we the simple people continue to suffer. I've always support a democratic government or society but it sometimes works against individuals, communities or even a country when the fundamental principles of freedom and power are not thoughtfully embraced in our societies.

Anyway, Mr Basil seems to have the vision for his electorate. Securing 50% equity of the mine's payment goes to start a good fight. The fight will not be won until and unless the worth of every little coin is translated back to the people. At this stage, the challenge ahead is immense. It is my hope that Mr Basil views it from this perspective, then only optimal development would reach the people.

We've had many cases where MPs pride themselves in securing funds, make a big feast and media bang on a mere decision or if you like paper money. But sadly, as times goes on, nothing tangible transpires. The common feature we hear is corruption, misuse and so on. Classis example is in Souther Highlands Province, the Provincial Government receives huge chunk of money from Kutubu, has the richest budget in the Highlands and may PNG, while their MPs boasts in media but sadly if you go to SHP, there's really nothing.

Mr Basil, his advisers and the people of Wau Bulolo needs to learn from such experiences but more importantly that of the Wau Bulolo itself. And that good decisions and governance must be uphold to restore Wau Bulolo to its glory days.

May God bless Mr Basil.

Cheers!!

Peace

Respond to this message   
MO

Re: Sorry MO,you misunderstood me

October 23 2008, 12:02 PM 

Meri Wau,

Honours restored. Yes I misread your comments.

God Bless you too even if you go into Politics...

The Morobe People should grant you that special honour even now for Morobean Females.

Respond to this message   
Pisai Gumar

Re: Luther Wenge bowed down to Bulolo's Demand

June 6 2009, 1:30 AM 

Respond to this message   

wenge bows to bulolo's

June 6 2009, 2:05 AM 

Known as Outspoken Songang governor of Morobe province, let him prove himself-either,to 6 bundles of choko's from Bulolo's or 4 Karuka trees of Menyamya district. "Never 4get" that-this are 2 biggest giants in boasted Morobe province.. in which governor wenge stands upon to preach.

well, the two golden-oldies was exploited, harrased, molested and even raped by mining explorers...took her virginity.

...WITHOUT, compensating her....but she...simply painted PNG..on world map..., the aliens that impregnated her.

After dongkey years...without..whatever..to compensate...the virginity.......am wondering?

What are you tryin...aa do robbing our quality time?

therefore Songang wenge..Jst a reminder that..pls, dance to your own Kundu Beat and Paint your own image.....rather than dancing to other persons jazz, sentimantal,rock and whatever music you name it.

pls...10 Morobe MP's..think twice.

Respond to this message   
PNG

Landowners or Government?

June 6 2009, 3:02 AM 

Who own's most of the Land in PNG?

Is the government helping the people? or

Is the government really getting away what's owned by the people?

Who is at fault? Is it always the government or the landlord?

Why do landlords complaint? And whom should they blame?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

June 6 2009, 12:45 AM 

five years is five minutes to basil

Respond to this message   
Lamana Observer

August 24 2009, 12:38 AM 

Good on all you morobeans praising Mr Basil's efforts.

Please be informed that his social life is also taking a leap.

Last week friday night at Lamana he was holding on to Commerce Secrtary Anton Kulit's daughters bum who is barely 19 years old,after the party she was whisked into blue 10 seater BBJ-302 and was happened after that i leave to your educated minds.

It is not the first time that Sam Basil has picked from a young girl from lamana and taken back to his crib at Korobosea.

While his tahitian wife is with his people he is enjoying the YOUNG FEMALES ESP POMIS STUDENTS of port moresby.

DO NOT BE QUICK TO PRAISE AND JUDGE EH.......

Respond to this message   
petra

hot air

August 24 2009, 6:51 AM 

Insread of Sam Basil threatening projects in the Moeobe area why doesnt he put up or shut up.
He wants developement in Wau. Where are the schols, supermarkets roads and police. We dont want to live in
Wau. We like living in a safe place in Lae. Stay away from what you cant provide.Yu gamin man

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

PNG Government always work backwards on issues

August 24 2009, 10:50 AM 

I have lived in many provinces working as a public servant and it is sad to confirm here that PNG Governments (Successive) do not see into the future when making their decisions. If the Mining Department is really serious about maximising development in the affected townships such as Wau & Bulolo then there should be approved plans with the planning department for infrastructural developments to sustain the mining housing development but there is nothing and no departmental push at all. So maybe the local Mp Mr. Basil is trying to push for the normal way of doing things in PNG such as demanding the developer and in this instance MMJV to forcefully build their staff accomodations in Wau. And when that happens then the Government will attend to the needs and demands of the mining staff/communities. Forcefully I mean because he has the full support of the Wau communities and we will support him when he needs us, Wau will not be a spectator anymore that is why we chose the young Mp to fight for us.
Kuranga Kutzie
Wau mas senis !

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: PNG Government always work backwards on issues

August 24 2009, 12:53 PM 

If Harmony Mine says no to houses in Wau, thats the end of story. Sam Basil and other MPs have no power at all against an mega company multinational who the top shots in PNG were stupid enough to let in the door in the first place.

Haven't you heard how ExxonMobil, largest profit making company in world history, is now manipulating landowners and getting them to fight each other so that Exxon can take the spoils away and little cost to itself?

These companies are only out for themselves and some of them have learnt how to buy the affections of the top leaders.

Sam Basil is wasting his breathe. He has no power

Respond to this message   
Sam

Em Man Tu Ya.

September 9 2009, 12:38 PM 

If development is happening in Sam's elctorate then that is fine.
If young girls are not cautious and Sam lures them into bed then i think that is fine also.
Sam bring in Development to ya electorate and if the younger ones at Lamana Gold sikirap, kisim ol go na brushim teeth blo ol.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

tur pal leader

August 24 2009, 12:04 PM 

Coz we need leader of action not leaders that wait till election time & start doing & making development to start keep up the good work.. HON SAM BASIL...PIPOL PERSON STRET..

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

It is not about Basil Power, it's the People Power brewing here

August 24 2009, 2:25 PM 

The people want their leaders to talk about issues affecting their communities like the mmjv houses & the watut river pollution and we know he will push to an extent where (PP) will eventually take over. At least he is not getting his wages for nothing and that is what all resource electorate & provinces Mps should be doing.
Aseki Ama.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: It is not about Basil Power, it's the People Power brewing here

August 24 2009, 3:28 PM 

I have heard that he spends a lot of time in his electorate and that is very important. Salute to him on that one.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

August 24 2009, 4:41 PM 

if talks about his LAMANA throbbing are true, I am but his dick is sticking out and ruining him!

Better to manage your own sex drive too!

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

August 24 2009, 5:23 PM 

Sam Basil is doing an excellent job.
MMJV were only allowed to use the outlawed and outdated Fly-In Fly-Out because the life of the mine was to be so short but since then it has been extended.
For Petra who wrote about how safe she or he is in Lae,try it first!
I have lived outside of Lae and faced many law and orders difficulties which you will also face.You will also be driving back and forth to Hidden valley every day and have the difficulties that a daily trip will bring to you.I have only ever experienced a once -a week trip(for more than 40 years) and that is enough for me.My own daughter lived in the same compound that you will be living in and during the two years she was there she was shot at three times going in to Lae and back.
I have also lived many years in Wau,without protection of dogs,men,knives or guns.Nothing has ever happened to me or my family.I know of only one case where a car was stolen in Wau and that happened to have had a tv and video sitting on the back seat.
Terrible things have happened to people in both Lae and Wau but that isn't the point,the point is that the resource owners deserve to have their lives improved which would happen with the development of their town that MMJV should be doing.
Both Wau and Bulolo were built up by the families that came to work in the mines there and the companies themselves.More families will mean better schools,better health care and facilities and also better services will be attracted with a bigger population.We had them before and we should be able to have them again.
If you want to work for a mining company you should be prepared to work in the towns where they are situated.Not have this new-found stupid drive-in,drive-out situation which destroys families and does not build communities.
You all think it is so wonderful to sit up in the camp and eat what you think is wonderful food but is actually considered to be two steps better than pig-swill!People in the mining industry say that the food offered at Hidden Valley is the worst fare in any mining camp in PNG.
When I was young and my husband and I moved to Wau and worked for NGG we didn't hesitate to leave our new home in Lae and consider that we were taking a backward step,we were pleased to come and be a part of a small community and we made our place within that very same community.
WAU FIRST!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

August 25 2009, 7:37 AM 

I'm OK with Sam Basil but knocking the food at our camp? Who are you lady??? NCS serves some pretty good kai at Hidden Valley and other mine sites that I've visited.

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

August 25 2009, 8:18 AM 

Actually I don't really need to clarify my position to you or anyone else.
I make a point of telling the truth.
NCS(and I am also in a position to know this) cook good food but you only get what you pay for and maybe the budget at Hidden Valley isn't as high as the budget at Lihir?I know this for a fact the same as I know that NCS cook for students at Unitech and have to do so on a meagre budget.Obviously MMJV would have better a budget than you would expect at Unitech but it is certainly not the same as Lihir or Porgera or many other camps.

Respond to this message   
Steven Segal

Basil's Kok Power

September 4 2009, 11:42 AM 

Maski long complain long kok blong Sam Basil. Em man tu. Yu kaikai kan blong tumbuna blong yu.

Respond to this message   
Steven Segal

Basil's Kok Power

September 4 2009, 11:47 AM 

Maski long complain long kok blong Sam Basil. Em man tu. Yu kaikai kan blong tumbuna blong yu.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

BASIL CON MAN

September 8 2009, 1:09 PM 

Post Courier
Tuesday 08th September, 2009

MP told to provide services

By FRANK RAI

Bulolo MP Sam Basil has for the first time come under fire from local landowners in his own electorate.
Landowners from the giant Hidden Valley Gold mine in Morobe Province have lashed out at their MP for not addressing law and order problems at the mining townships of Wau
and Bulolo.
Nakuwi Landowners Association president Rex Mauri said yesterday the MP was barking up the wrong tree when he was supposed to carry out his mandated responsibilities at
the district.
Mr Mauri said this in response to some media attacks on Morobe Mining Joint Venture (MMJV), the developer of Hidden Valley Gold mine relating to environmental impacts in
the Watut river.
The company (MMJV) had briefed all stakeholders, including Mr Basil in July at the Melanesian Hotel that the sentiment build up in Watut river was caused by debris from the
construction phase. MMJV admitted that it will compensate villagers along the river from Watut down to Lake Luu but why is the MP making too much noise on this issue, Mr
Mauri said.
He said Mr Basils attack on MMJV was not going down well with the landowners from the project area and the MPs continuous attack was unwarranted because it was
allegedly provoked for hidden motives.
Mr Mauri said the law and order issue regarding mobile squad (MS) 15 accommodation, the Watut and Biangais ethnic clash and the escalating lawlessness at the two
townships were supposed to be addressed by the MP.
The Nakuwi president also emphasized that all the six local level government (LLG) councils in the district included Waria, Wau Rural, Wau Bulolo Urban, Watut, Mumeng and
Buang were recognised for royalty payments.
Mr Mauri said the Hidden Valley memorandum of agreement (MoA) had allotted royalties for all the LLGs while the Morobe provincial government shared its 36 per cent royalty
with Bulolo district.
What else does the MP want?
Is he fighting for the best interest of the people?
You cannot bite the hands that feeds you and we want development and services which the government for many years could not provide, the Nakuwi president said.
Mr Mauri said Mr Basil was still young and he was willing to work closely with him by providing him with good advise so that development plans and services were brough to
change the lives of people of Bulolo and Wau districts.

[Go to the top] Copyright©2009, Post-Courier Online. Use of this site is governed by our Legal Notice.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: BASIL CON MAN

September 8 2009, 5:45 PM 

biangais are con landowners thats why sam basil won't work with their so called leader rex mauri. if he does then he loses votes from all the true landowners who are in the majority.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: BULOLO MP - HON SAM BASIL

September 8 2009, 7:29 PM 

Sam Basil is still a con-man... bul****ting the poor bulolo people.

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

So,"anonymous"?

September 9 2009, 10:37 AM 

Come up with some facts on how and why Sam Basil is bull****ting the Bulolo people as I would be the first one who would be glad to hear them.
I have often heard him offer to work with Rex Mauri and other landowner leaders and he does work with some of them.He has said this publicly as I have seen it reported in the media but when a mining company has the principal landowner spokesman on their payroll(and he has been receiveing a very generous fortnighly paypacket for many years now),how can that same landowner spokesperson be expected to speak out against the company? Of course he wouldn't as the pay cheque could stop and he is a man who has never before(that I can recall,and I could be wrong here but I doubt it)had a job or any training and only minimal education.
How could be Rex Mauri consider himself to be able to advise Sam Basil when he cannot even be present in his own area often enough to advise his own people ? I doubt that many of them would be receptive to his "advice",most of them being more educated than he is.
Landowner group executive positions are long overdue for change as the elections were supposed to be held in March but were put off for some strange reason until October so we shall see when the next deferral will be as October is just around the corner now.

Respond to this message   
anon

Sam Basil will lose in 2012

September 16 2011, 9:06 PM 

Everyone of you please come home to Bulolo, Sam Basil will lose come 2012

Respond to this message   
judas

Re: Sam Basil will lose in 2012

September 16 2011, 9:23 PM 

Why? Explain yourself.

Respond to this message   
YuGuess?

September 16 2011, 10:04 PM 

The effectiveness of a leader should be measured by how much their people progress as a result of his/her leadership.

It would be interesting to see Bulolo's economic and social KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)for a period, say 4 years before Mr. Basil and 4 years into him being the incumbent Bulolo MP.

I would prefer to back up the general feeling on the ground with stats. Is there any where we can get such local socioeconomic stats?

Respond to this message   
hmmmm

September 17 2011, 12:22 AM 

Of course not. Do you think our Office of national planning actually does any work to collect such statistics?

Respond to this message   
Pine top

September 17 2011, 10:44 AM 

PNG has a good history of unseating good leaders,which the rest of the country presume will walk in to parliament.Take Sir Rabbie Namaliu and Bire Kimisopa.I will not be suprised if Basil is ejected as the Bulolo MP come 2012.

Respond to this message   
street mangi

You should unseat Basil

September 17 2011, 10:54 AM 

Pin Top,

I think you should stand for Bulolo open next year and unseat him....

yu boi natin stap isi..Basil has been doing a good work and Bulolo people will send him back next year un opposse.

street mangi

Respond to this message   
traim gen

Re: You should unseat Basil

September 17 2011, 11:02 AM 

I don't think you understand what "unopposed" means. Unopposed means that no one - zero people - would run against him. Obviously that's not going to be the case.

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

Unopposed?

September 18 2011, 8:54 AM 

Of course he won't be unopposed as all the old recycled leaders will be trying their hardest to gain back their old positions as well as a few newer and younger hopefuls.Good luck to them all as running for a seat in parliament is a great experience but I do think they are wasting their time as Sam has set a bench-mark,the likes of which has not been seen in our electorate before.
Many hopefuls are also under the impression that political parties will fund candidates with large war-chests and they hope to be in line for this too although that I doubt that many parties would actually believe that Sam could be unseated and would be willing to risk large funds in a futile bid.

Respond to this message   
James

Re: Unopposed?

September 18 2011, 3:57 PM 

Meri Wau and others,

What sort of benchmark has Mr. Basil set that others past have not done???
Please provide good reasons why Bulolo should send him back.

Thanks
James

Respond to this message   
Bulolo dredges

Re: Unopposed?

September 18 2011, 8:21 PM 

It looks like Bulolo people at last elected a person who seems relatively honest by all accounts.

I believe that would put him in the top 5% of all PNG MPs.

Respond to this message   
dom gal ira

basil is tha man

September 19 2011, 6:08 AM 

put him back unopposed in 2012.

Respond to this message   
tok tru

Re: basil is tha man

September 19 2011, 6:12 AM 

Idiot. Someone is always going to oppose any and all PNG pollies at election time. There has never been ANY candidate in the history of PNG who has run "unopposed".

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

Re: basil is tha man

September 19 2011, 8:20 AM 

Sam Basil's benchmarks are numerous but of course he has had more money to make more impact,as have the MP's from every electorate.In Sam's case he has actually made a great difference and he has made his presence felt throughout the electorate,particularly by standing up against the mining company and doing his best to keep them honest.Mining companies enjoy a reputation for bullying tactics but Sam has been quite fearless in his opposition and ensuring that environmental breaches are rectified and compensated for properly.
I cannot say that our roads are better or that our schools are better resourced but they are certainly not much worse and there are District Services out there conducting continuous repairs to the infrastructure which had been allowed to deteriorate drastically.
Unfortunately with all the mining development comes a lot of damage that is not being repaired at National level(like the National highway)and the increased amount of traffic brought about by Hidden Valley mine does a lot of damage to our crumbling infrastructure.
I do wish he would do more for Wau but he had to start somewhere and we all hope that after 2012,with the suppport of all of us who want to see the Bulolo Electorate a better place, it will be our turn.Bassil is certainly "The Man".

Respond to this message   
James

Basil's Policies not working

September 19 2011, 11:04 AM 

Mr. Basil's district programs are falling apart.Vehicles and machinery bought for the so called district road programs are lying obsolete and exposed to rust while our roads are falling apart.People in Waria LLG desperately need a road while Machinery is lying idle in Bulolo, Mumeng and Buang. LLGs just dont have the capacity,where is the money for maintenance and management???.Why buy them in the first place??. Basil's small scale agriculture projects will never work, because people will not experience real income and will get tired of it fairly soon. Another waste!!!

The only physical infrastructure that can be credited to him is the rural electricity program but yet it serves only a handfull in Mumeng and Buang and a few VSAT around the place.

Law and order has crumbled in Bulolo we have experienced civil war!! where has Basil been?? True leaders don't runaway from crisis, they take it head on.

Meri Wau and others I think the only benchmark set is in Buang where Basil is building a voter base. Not fair and equitable distribution at all because the K10million annual DSG is for all people of Bulolo not Buang and Sagayo Village!!

Basil must stop promoting his self-image and blatant propaganda, humble himself and come up with real economic and social policies that will work for all people.

Respond to this message   
Kaim

Re: Basil's Policies not working

September 19 2011, 3:56 PM 

Heard that Basil is screwing around with the an expatriat wife of one of the country's top lawyers from the higlands. If that is tue then is not that corruption when he talks alot about fighting corruption?

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

September 20 2011, 7:30 AM 

Dear James-the issues you refer to are certainly things that I have asked the Hon Member about.The non-performance,or poor performance, of public servants is of great concern to us all as MP's can deliver all they want but if no-one reliable is on the ground to put the plans and projects into motion and effectively monitor them it is like pouring water in to a hole.
Bulolo Open is a massively large electorate with very poor infrastrucure and there does not seem to have been a proper plan of procedure in place.LLG's are a great idea but in reality handing back power to the people is a long way from being the success story it is lauded to be as at local level the people with foresight and planning experience are very thin on the ground and councillors all have their own plans for re-election.
We do need decent town and rural council managers but drawing this experience from the ranks of the jaded public servants within Morobe Provincial Gov't is not working.

Respond to this message   
Kaim

September 20 2011, 9:14 AM 

Heard that Basil is screwing around with the an expatriat wife of one of the country's top lawyers from the higlands. If that is tue then is not that corruption when he talks alot about fighting corruption?

Respond to this message   

Shut Up, Kaim?

September 20 2011, 9:57 AM 

Kaim, just Shut Up, or talk about something that is of public knowledge and not such rumours to tarnish the credibility of reputable leaders.. Maski lo painim toktok.. let mi give you one issue to keep you busy... "will the Hela/Jiwaka and 22 women reserve seat bill be discussed in Parliament today at 2pm?"

Respond to this message   
Useless Kaim

Re: Shut Up, Kaim?

September 20 2011, 10:51 AM 

Yes Shut Up Kaim ...if you want to come on this blog bringing useless unfounded jargon then I propose that you talk about your own Engan MP's - I'm sure you won't be looking for womanizing topics in your own Engan MP circles. Plus what a joke where two of your MP's fought and tusseled over a leadership issue that they both ended up losing !! Like dogs fighting over bones where the meat has already been taken up .....so Mr. Kaim, talk rubbish about your own MP's ...or go back and hide in your hole.

Respond to this message   
Yes..shut up Kaim

Small Mind...Kaim

September 20 2011, 12:05 PM 

Kaim your mind is small.Why??... Small minds discuss people.Grate mind dicuss issues and see the big picture.This froum is about the latter.If you want to discuss heresay go to womens forum...that is the appropriate place to share with women folks.You rightfully belog there.

Respond to this message   
Las kona

PRIDE

September 3 2013, 1:33 PM 

Sam Basil, noken kolim nem blong God Papa long maus blong yu bikos pride na gridi em yu holim na stap yet long buang. No wander some people call you CON-MAN. Moral life is shakey.

Respond to this message   
Outsider

Basil True leader

September 20 2011, 1:52 PM 

Iam an outsider making comments.
I have never seen such young energetic and vibrant leader such as Sam Basil. I am from the Highlands but I have observed and read on papers that he is doing something for his electorate. Even in the parliaments, he talks as an experienced parliamentarian.

He is also potential for the next top post of the country. a very simple and humble person like Sam Basil will boost the development of the country.

Let him stay for another 5 years.

Mi arasait man tasol, noken koros lo mi. Samting bilo youpela.

Respond to this message   
Meri Wau

Re: Basil True leader

September 20 2011, 3:31 PM 

Thank you Outsider.It is true that our leader is being recognised in other areas and this is great.I am sure he is not without his weaknesses but the fact is that he is doing his job and facilitating the services that we have needed for a long time and this confirms that he is a good leader.The implementation of these same services is another matter and something that good Provincial Public servants and (in spite of me referring to our jaded public servants at Prov Level)we do have quite a few of them.Getting them to focus a little on areas outside of Lae is difficult and somehow I don't think that our Governor likes us in Wau-Bulolo.

Respond to this message   
Kam em best

Re: Basil True leader

September 20 2011, 4:13 PM 

Meri Wau,

your politician is in the worng place (ministry) he should be at the LLG ministry. His crrent vision of LLG development is confusing the origional concpet of Department of National planning and monitoring. The Department was set up to administer development polices, programs and development assistance and not to address LLG issues? he is confused although his idea of grassroot development is in order

Respond to this message   
James

Nationalising failed district policies

September 20 2011, 7:07 PM 

Basil is attempting his failed district improvement program at the national level. Doubt it will ever work??? With an annual DSG of K10million (K50million in 5years)he is unable to maintain a fleet of vehicle and machinery letting them to rot, unable to prop-up police and maintain law and order allowing civil war to destroy lives and property.

Are we suppose to call failures true leaders???? Bulolo has turned into another chaotic African state bestowed with tribal violence with citizens living in fear of another war.

True leader is he?? Why don't he come to Bulolo and face the settlers at Karanas, what will he say to the Sepiks, what will he tell the Watuts, Zenags and the Pateps. Why dont he go up to Wau and talk to the Biangais, and the Menyamas and Goilalas.What will he say to the mothers who lost their homes? Is he scared?? Powes Parkop is not scared he faces the Taris,Simbus and Wabags and they make peace in NCD!!

Lets blame it on the grog and put in a band-aid liqour ban. Oops! but the courts have overturned that decision, lets appeal to the national court, no way, we still lose. Lets turn our backs and let them take more grog and kill each other as they have defied our actions. Is this real solution from a true leader??

We know the Buangs and the Mumengs put him in Parliament but the K50million and the leadership job belongs to all Warias, Watuts, Wau and Bulolo towns as well by law. Wealth shared unequally is a mortal sin because others prosper while some suffer in abject poverty crippled by violence.

To Sam Basil and his supporters, please come down from your castle up in Sagayo mountains, open your eyes and see that not only Buangs and Mumengs live in Bulolo Electorate and prove to us the true leader you are.

Respond to this message   
You're Sick

Re: Nationalising failed district policies

September 20 2011, 7:58 PM 

@James - so much preaching. Why don't you contest the elections and see if you can beat what Sam Basil is doing ? All we are saying is that the guy is different and he is making a difference in his electorate that was once neglected. Why don't you contest and do better than him ? It's sad when people don't appreciate the little good some people sacrifice to do for the community.

Respond to this message   
Poooooooooh

Re: Nationalising failed district policies

September 20 2011, 11:23 PM 

@James, traim contest na yumi lukim na skelim! Nogut yu yet na nuclear family tasol bai luksave long yu!

Respond to this message   
die hard basil supporter

james lost the plot

September 21 2011, 5:35 AM 

Jame you have no place in bulolo people from all over living in bulolo will vote basil in for the second term in 2012. You want to contest that seat dont do it it . every body will laught at you.

Respond to this message   
Kande

Re: james lost the plot

September 21 2011, 10:59 AM 

not long this country will have all politicians half cast. PNG is suffering a syndrome called "vote only white looking people"

Respond to this message   
James Oh James !

Re: james lost the plot

September 21 2011, 11:02 AM 

Ssshhh ....James could be the NA Nominee for the seat to oust Sam Basil. Remember, they said " Bai mi kilim yu " in the parliament and later added "long election". So Jamie boy ..thanks for giving us the hint but the moment you put your election poster with your dumb face on it, it will turn into a "Most Wanted" poster so lus tingting ...Basil is coming back in 2011. Thanks to those emotional outburst of remarks at the Parliament.

Respond to this message   
James

Sam Basil Lost the Plot

September 23 2011, 10:23 AM 

Aha, Sam Basil and all his cohorts, the truth hurts doesn't it?? None of you guys can provide solid debate because you are all incompetent as Basil himself.

Basil and his cronies need a crash course in basic economics and public administration, before he wastes all our money on failed district policies. Basil truly has lost the plot, watch out PNG, if the man cannot manage K50million in 5years for Bulolo, what are the chances he can successfully implement K4billion in annual development budgets?

Different is he?? What difference has he done in Bulolo? Few footbridges and VSATS to connect his supporters. That's what his doing building a voter base!!

Bulolo is enjoying an unprecedented economic boom since the gold rush days, none of Basil's handywork. He however cannot manage the effects of such a boom, a clear lack of understanding of socioeconomic solutions. The result; civil war, crime and chaos, no sign of the true leader insight!!!

James itself may or may not stand for elections, we may or not be NA. But thanks to Digicels wireless 3G Internet we speak from the heart of Bulolo. Lets just say we were born for Sam Basil bashing. And we will keep up the tempo until he goes back to what he does best - security manager. And leave Bulolo to competent people who understands real development.

Respond to this message   
Get Real

Re: Sam Basil Lost the Plot

September 23 2011, 2:56 PM 

@James ...geez you must really hate Mr. Basil. I'm just wondering what your previous MP's achieved and accomplished. Mr Basil must be doing absolutely nothing out there in his electorate and at a National Level. I'm an outsider and I think he's way better placed than most MP's in PNG - as a first timer. People in other Electorates envy the work and interaction Mr Basil has with his people plus the basic services he has provided. Plus he is one MP that is out there in the bushes of his electorate most of the times - the only MP I see wearing safety boots with mud all over, getting on PX whenever he returns to POM from Lae. Yes this is a free democratic country and when it comes to the Elections you are free to elect and alternate but I begin to ask myself "Can he be that bad?" after reading your repeated negative remarks on Mr.Basil ...Mmmmm the things people say !

Respond to this message   
Optimistic

September 23 2011, 3:35 PM 

@ James..contest aginst Sam Basil and win the coming election and prove him wrong.Leasership is about serving people and if SB is not doing as you claim then it your time now to replace him.But the truth,is that SB is loved by many people, one of the finest leaders so far as a first time memeber in parliamnet.Already a role model for many asparing leaders.

Respond to this message   
Wapenamanda

September 23 2011, 3:41 PM 

James...
I just hope you tell your MP to kneel down to Honourbale Sam Basil - let Basil teach him what development means to your MP, being in Parliament dreaming to steal.

Basil Rocks!

Respond to this message   
James

September 23 2011, 6:33 PM 

All of you come to Bulolo, and see the scars of civil war, deteriorating civil infrastructure, lawlessness, development eschewed towards his own LLG. Basil is not different to past MPs. He just talks alot. Media savvy, propagandist and self-image building, we in Bulolo just cant believe that all of you in PNG can believe all the crab his dishing out.

Think James is talking ********? I urge all of you to come to Bulolo and please do visit Buang LLG before you visit other LLGs, talk to the people on the ground, believe me many want Basil out in 2012 except for some in Buang and and others in Mumeng. Even many in Buang also want Basil out too.

People are sick of his dictatorial style of leadership. If you are one of his committees better do everything he says or youre be at the receiving end of his fists, like one of his committees in Bangulum village, Mumeng.

All of you Basil Lovers please ask him to publish the K10million annual DSG so we can know that the money has been spent for real development and fair and equal distribution for all Bulolo people.

Respond to this message   
?

September 23 2011, 6:44 PM 

What's going on with the Sepiks in Bulolo? What is Sam Basil doing about that?

Respond to this message   
Gess Faia

September 23 2011, 7:26 PM 

I think James has a point. If you were all not so love struck you would be objective too. Reading this thread James seems to know what he is talking about.

The difference I have seen with Bulolo Mp compared to others is that he has a really great pubilicity man. I have never seen a better propagandist in the last 15 years. As a development consultant, I travel the length of this country and I can say without bias that the best working model is East New Britain followed by Milne Bay in terms of economic growth and people level impact (without homing in on districts). Yet you will hardly read about the success stories from these two provinces because they have lousy public relations people (if they have them at all).

Bulolo, apart from telikoms and some water supplies and foot bridges is only growing because of the mining activities and the renewable forest operations. None of these can be attributed to the member. Are they people happy there? Some groups yes but there are too many social problems there that no one is interested in solving.

Real leaders solve real problems and do not boast about them. That is why I give full credit to leaders from ENB and Milne Bay.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - BULOLO MP - HON SAM BASIL
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board