<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board  

Bribery Vs Felt Needs: Where's the Demarcation?

April 6 2010 at 2:45 PM
Malambur 

While preparing for 2012 elections, we try our best to preach anti corruption and bribery messages whether on the scape, one to one basis, or to a group of audience. That is fine however, I have an observation that I can share here, and you put your constructive comments to see how we can educate people that we come accross on anti corruption and bribery issues.

Living some time in some PNG villages (cannot name)and talking to some people there, I realized that some of our village people will vote for any body, as long as he/she provides for their basic felts needs. For example, in one village that I was in, a candidate met the childrens school fees which was a burden to the hard working parents. What do you think the people did? yeah...voted him in. Whether the candidate is genuine or practicing bribery, the fact that he helped settle the fees was overwhelming for the parents and sure he got what he wanted. There are so many examples but I shall leave it at that. The question is how do we know if the person is genuine or not even if he/she has met your immediate needs. Lets see if we can draw some demarcations for this scenario and hopefully get our strategies right for the majority of our community members.

Malambur

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Bribery Vs Felt Needs: Where's the Demarcation?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board