<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board  

png economic growth is a miracle move by somare

August 2 2010 at 9:10 AM
working class man 

whether you like or dislike the national alliance and prime minister somare, the fact is pngs economic growth is the highest in the pacific region even surpassing australia.this is a miracle and whilst private sector and economists attribute this growth primarily to political stability and sir micheals ability to unite and suppress dissent supported by his captain wonderboy arthur somare,it is widely accepted that the world prices for gold & copper and key cash crops which have had years of growth directed contributed to the miracle.some unfairly suggest that whether it was somare or some other wannabe PM aspirant, png economic miracle would have occurred anyway! quite untrue and unsubstantiated.the somare government must be commended for its focus implementation of big picture policies like vision 2020 and putting together critical plans like its debt reduction programs endorsed by the world bank and imf including ausaid.well done again arthur.yes there have been corrupt ministers like pruaitch and corrupt ministers still to face trial in court like peter oniel and paul tiensten.but which government in our short history can claim to have a corrupt free cabinet.it goes with pngs corrupt and systemic culture and simply wont change under any other pm.fact.

so ladies & gentlemen, stop the ridiculous one sided, biased, smear that has been carefully orchestrated by one or two individuals to make it look like there are many, and give credit where it is well overdue and support the good policies of a good effective government like somare as the majority of private sector companies are doing including large multi nationals public companies and the majority of grassroots in png.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mangi ples

Re: png economic growth is a miracle move by somare

August 3 2010, 11:59 AM 

tokim ol yia! mi les lo lukim ol giaman bagarapim somare wantain pikinini.toktok na luksave lo olgeta gutpela ikamap pinis lo las 10 yia.

miracle indeed.no other way to describe it.just visit mosbi and lae and witness the building boom taking place.better still look at the thousands of working class png employed on this big projects.they all have a n income.self esteem will increase.self confidence grows from creating jobs.no wonder the somare government is supported by the working class.pangu & na are left wing political institutions.equivalent to the labour party in oz and democrats in the usa.

and which government presided over this fantastic transformation? somare.period.

onya arthur.give em curry mate.

Respond to this message   
divine word

August 3 2010, 9:44 PM 

this government under mr somare has performed well and seems to be growing the small businesses of our country.the ramu nickel project will be the life blood of my people & when i graduate, i hope to make a real contribution to the project and more so my people.thankyou somare & somare.

Respond to this message   
Mum

Stuff a Duck

August 3 2010, 9:51 PM 

The economic boom is a result of the natural resources; a "stuffed duck" could be the PM and still the boom would occur. But if an honest and intelligent PM were in power; the wages for the workers would be K2,000 a week instead of K200 a fortnight.

Also; when the PM had an extra K128 Million; he would fix the hospitals and schools: not buy a bloody Jet Plane for his own exclusive use.

Wake up and cast your eyes around

Respond to this message   
anonymous

;

August 4 2010, 11:03 AM 

Respond to this message   
anonymous

August 4 2010, 8:18 PM 

Respond to this message   
frakup

People from Districts & LLG may ask where is PNG?

August 4 2010, 9:12 PM 

89 districts with are without doctors, police, magistrates, poor roades & no bridges, urban areas full of pot holes while Ministers owns overseas homes relocating their families overseas, seeking proper health cares overseas all at the expense of png people.
Health minister now planning to build a K500m hospital in Pom & Transport Minister ready to rehabilitate the jacksons airport for K1.4b at the direction from arthur & father.
The pm fly in the falcon jet worth more then K100m. The economy boom was from the mineral exports with the prices dictated from overseas market. The NA's will never control those prises if they drop tomorrow, the NA has wrecklessly spent all the boom cash to buy the falcon jet, nadp funds which they all stole, resi funds half spent into the ministers districts & provinces and the other half stolen again by the ministers and their cohorts.

Is that the PNG you are talking about?

Respond to this message   
Mum

Where is the kanaka anonymous blogger?

August 4 2010, 10:37 PM 

I happen to be a "European Kanaka" who has 2 University degrees and spent the last 10 years of my life in a very close 'grass-roots' study of the Somare Government; who clearly & deliberately practice policies of neglect whilst enriching their own wealth and position.
You are obviously too busy licking bottom to see the facts for yourself.
Fact: Michael Somare purchased a Jet plane for K128 Million Kina; for use by himself, his wantoks and mates.
Fact: The hospitals and schools are in such an appauling state that women are giving birth in the corridors of the maternity ward (many losing their babies) and the children in the malnutrition ward of POM General have no food.
Maybe when you see it happen to your own wife and child, you will get over your "Somare Blindness"
I would think that most "bloggers" are sick and tired of stupid, blind fools like yourself; who defend Somare for no other reason than ignorance and stubborn PNG pride.

Respond to this message   
dad

Re: Where is the kanaka anonymous blogger?

August 5 2010, 10:08 AM 

Respond to this message   
false economy

August 5 2010, 10:10 PM 

'

Respond to this message   
false economy

August 5 2010, 10:11 PM 

'

Respond to this message   
false economy

August 5 2010, 10:13 PM 

'

Respond to this message   
Mum

Re: stuff a duck & mum

August 5 2010, 12:32 AM 

I remembered my password and logged on..... maybe now we can get somewhere.
Anon: you made a great leap of assumption in calling me a "kanaka".
I am not "uneducated by academic standards"; but less educated than many village people in "natural standards". You would probably call them 'kanaka' and me 'educated'.......but they are probably much smarter than all of us who use computers etc.
Get with the world.... Michael Somare, Arthur Somare, and all of their lackeys; ARE DONE.
The "age" of Somare Dictatorship is well and truly over........as are those of his "mini me's"; like Mark Maipaki, Chris Haiveta, Paul Tientsen, Patrick Pru-'shait', and the list goes on.
The world is much bigger than PNG; and the world is watching PNG. The "Big Man" in PNG is 'nothing' in the world. They are being judged on their "real" performance now.
Somare could not evade a motion of "no-confidence" in Parliament, without the blatant use of his goon Nape. The whole world saw it and despises him for it.
Who are you to call intelligent and 'fair-minded' people "kanakas"?????
You hide behind "anon"......you lose all credibility right there!!!!
. Em tasol.

Respond to this message   

Let us face it, 89 % of our people are dying for lack of simple services

August 5 2010, 9:45 AM 

For argument sake, am very supportive of Mum's comments.

There is no prosperity with our 89% of our rural folks who hardly spend K3 a day. Who have no water, no electricity, no paid public transport or transport infrastructure, no school teachers, no access to nil stocked medicinal drugs at their nearest health centre, no police presence, no telephones, no access bank services, they hardly have any choice at all for services, or generally no government subsidy for anything at all. The indicators reveal a lot about the real and true PNG.

For somare supporters, please do not tell us about prosperity when our people are dying just for the want of services. The King of Tonga died in New Zealand seeking health services and longer life, let us not be surprised that the Grand Chief of Papua New Guinea will equally die in Singapore or Australia. Why? The Late Sir Brian should have died here in PNG. Why?

It just demonstrates the kind of confidence or belief or lack of it that our Elected Leaders have in their established states and infrastructure. They pump in money to have second rated services and second rated infrastructure for the people that elected them. What contempt!!!! Not to mention also that all their children were educated abroad. They have overseas businesses and overseas properties!!!

Let us never be too proud of any type of success or prosperity when we can not simply provide for ourselves and our simple bottom line here in PNG.

In fact, as an educated Papua New Guinean who has visited over 40 countries, I am at times ashamed of the indicators of our PNG that has digressed since Somare has been ever around as PM.

I have nothing against his children, but I really feel for our 89% who do not have any form of government subsidy and are dying for the lack of simple services.

I pray for a better PM.

Hello?

Respond to this message   
PNG man

Let us face it, 89 % of our people are dying for lack of simple services

August 5 2010, 5:15 PM 

AGree with MUM,

After more than 30 years after Independence I feel for my people, they are still running down to the stream to wash and fetch water. There is no electricity in all rural district and it appears there wont be for a while yet. The road if it is there is NOT Vehicle worthy yet I pay road worthy certificate for my truck to run on it.

My people die because if they are just able to make it to the local run down Aid post, 90% of the time there is no medicine.

Then I'm reminded by the original writer and his supporters that PNG is in boom times because of the SOMARES, who also says that if the services are not reaching the very people that need it, its not the CEO's fault but his administrators.

If memory serves me correct Mr T.SOMARE has been in politics for as long as the country has been independent and Until now the pre indepedence infrastruture has been neglected to a state of disrepair.

AND YOU MR SOMARE SUPPORTER TELL ME not to blame him.

I will leave it here for now.

PNG MAN

Respond to this message   
Countryman

png economic growth is a miracle move by somare

August 5 2010, 9:22 PM 

Ples mangi,

It is good to read your post that at last you could see there is development taking place in your area. Congratulations to you !

The bulk of the population of Papua New Guinea come from the rural and remote areas of PNG where consecutive governments have failed to develop the basic services as better road infrustructure, health and quality education. These rural communities are uncivilised living in bush huts and lighting firewood, with basic pit toilets and using streams or running water for drying and bathing.

The disadvantage rural communities where the bulk of the population is are the priority areas to develop than the buildings you see in Port Moresby or Lae. Do you claim a few buildings and seasonal employment resolves the much needed health and road problems the entire bulk of the population experience ?

If you read in news paper (post courier) articles there are people in the remote Simbu area walking long distances and spend half of the day trying to get into the nearest towns. They claim the roads where built by the colonial Australian Government and these roads were never maintained with the gravel washed away leaving the bare soil exposed to the sun while the drainages where covered in long grass/bush narrowing the road size.

Systematically, when you study close into the government, what the government of today is enjoying is a free ride arthiteched by the Morauta Government in 1997. This is not Somare or his son who that initiated this that they are enjoying the outcome today.

In 1997, the kina was at the edge of collaspe, inflation was high (this was because Sir Bill Stake was at fault). Sir Mekere Morauta was elected as Prime Minister and he was the one who made couple of chances to save the kina from the edge of collaspe. One of the policies he initiated was the privatisation bill that we had alot of critisms from blind people of your standard including the Somare party who did not support the idea after much persuation.

Another good idea was the Land Moblisation policy introduced by the Pais Wingti government. Today many people support after clearly understanding the idea. But when first introduced some so called intellectual university students confused the people which all kinds of ideas and in the event 3 students were death in a students boycott. Sitting back today looking at this, I feel stupid and brainless in the sense no university student could understand the benefits of the Land Mobilisation policy. Today land mobilisation policy is the key to developments in PNG.

Intergrity on Political Party's Bill was another one Mr Somare did not support when first introduced by Morauta Government and he walked our of the chamber in protest. Again today he enjoys the priviledges and realises the importance and benefits of the Intergrity of Political Party's Bill was to stablise the government. Instead of thanking the people who initiated the idea, he blames them for making a mistake!!!

So my friend ples man (are you really a ples man),what good can we say about Somare ? Somare is only good at gaining independence for the country but lacks vision on how to develop it. For the last number of years he has been Prime Minister, I can not see any change he put through. He can not run the economic development of the country, nor could he make changes or new policies that can benefit PNG well.

The LNG project is not something that this government is initiating. LNG is a bunch of hungry monster coming in to PNG to swallow the oil & gas we have.Even in the absence of this government and any other government in office, the project would still go ahead because we had the much needed resource on our land. No matter what, any other properous developer like LNG would still enquire. After swallowing they'll be gone leaving us high and dry. So where are our strategics after the LNG financial power is gone ? What has Somare and his team put in place to maintain the PNG kina, employment for locals, and maintain the new roads and projects built by LNG.

But there are more to it. As the saying goes, when there is a moment you enjoy, there is always a problem waiting for you out there. Today we boast about LNG and Somare Government and enjoying the short term benefits but the aftermate is waiting for us there. Be prepared to face it.

When you talk about changes and development, let the man trutru blong ples come out and say, they experience development change. Ino ol whiteman olsem yu long Port Moresby & Lae olsem yu long toktok. What you say is hurting us the geniune ples lain. Port Moresby and Lae is not Papua New Guinea, they are small centers. Look at rural communities where the bulk of the population is that is undeveloped and going back to the stoneage days!!!

Countryman

Respond to this message   

100% correct

January 14 2011, 3:53 PM 

countryman,
i support you 100%, truly everything you said is true..

Respond to this message   
Bella

August 5 2010, 9:52 PM 

Sure there may be an increase in economic growth but if that increase is only realized by a minute fraction of the country's population, while the rest seem heading backwards, I don't know but I'll still remain skeptic.

Of course business is booming and increasing at a rate we have never seen. But hey, who owns those businesses? Who is getting the biggest piece of the pie out of it? I think if we look closely, only a few while the bulk of the people don't get anything out of it.

Respond to this message   
Donna

August 5 2010, 11:43 PM 

Bella.....em Stret! yu tok tru! There will only be a minority to benefir from the LNG

Respond to this message   
miskus

August 6 2010, 8:47 AM 

bella na donna yu tupela giaman yia.both of you are lying thru your teeth.lng is benefiting majority in png because all royalties paid into govt budget where schools, roads and hospitals are already being funded.thankyou somare govt for thinking of ordinary people.

Respond to this message   
Ai in da skai

Wanna see economic Growth?

August 6 2010, 12:09 PM 

Go to Angoram the people there are rejoicing the East Sepik Capital is now a super mini city of PNG. Go to google sattelite night vision of all cities around the world you will see the lights that are beaming off Wewak & Angoram Towns the rays beamed off will be on par with Djayapura of West Irian Papua Province of Republic of Indonesia.
The K600m that the Somare cabinet allocated to Wewak upgrade in 2007 has finally done some good job.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

Re: Wanna see economic Growth?

August 9 2010, 9:29 PM 

if angoram is so backwards as you suggest, why do all angorams vote arthur in year after year after year after year after year? because he is an honest hard working leader with intellect and gets things done.hip hip hooray to somare jr.

Respond to this message   
Stron Het

August 10 2010, 1:34 AM 

I thought it was because he buys their vote, year in year out! Wheres the hard work in that? Everyone knows he gives handouts so what are you blabbering on about. He has probably paid you to post on these boards in support of him.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

September 8 2010, 4:18 PM 

Respond to this message   
tanoxdeblack

September 13 2010, 6:52 PM 

My friend my response is simple. In PNG, economic growth must equal one of two things. increase in the capital manufacturing industry or increase in the rate of human development.

The gains of economic growth must be properly invested to to ensure PNG shifts from being a mineral exporting country to a manufacturing nation. This will plant the seeds for a better standard of living in the future. eg; CHINA, SOUTH KOREA, TAIWAN, JAPAN, US, AUSTRALIA. NO DEVELOPED NATION HAS GROWN WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THIS. some of these do not have resources but their investments in the capital manufacturing industry has converted them into major industrial nations.

If the will of the populous however, is for increases in human development, then schools, roads, hospitals, airports, housing etc must be built. if we call ourselves a rich country then our standard of living should be at least above the poverty line.

If one of the two are not done then economic growth is worth nothing. all it will mean is that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Then one morning we will wake up with our country torn in civil war.

If you think it cant happen; look at Africa.

Respond to this message   
millionaire

October 17 2010, 12:40 PM 

tanoxdeblack is daydreaming and wanking himself blind!!!!!!!!!you gotta be blind buddy or else living under a rock for the last 5 years.png is growing like a miniature china.the private sector has finally been primed and given the economic juice to travel at high speed.its all about confidence in pngs soverrign risks fool.and nothing better to allay those fears with robust long term projects like the lng and soon to be new mining projects in frieda west sepik, morobe hidden valley and ramu nickel in madang.are you people blind or rooting all nite with mrs palmer and her 5 daughetrs?? employment growth in png has grown at an exponential rate.the poor are getting richer and the rich are getting into politics! thats all creton.10 years ago when sir mek and sir j chan ran png, we all were broke and corruption ruled the land...mek attack and chan the lapun were making millions with their family business companies like they have been for eons and eons.so whats new? arthur somare! abreath of fresh air that will dominat epolitical life in png.maski lo jelous na bagarapim nating yupela ol empty drum.

Respond to this message   
tanoxdeblack

November 9 2010, 3:32 PM 

extreme povery is now at 40%. what is the point of economic growth if all it does is make only a few get richer..

by the way.... i think you are the most stupidest blogger here given you failed to recongnise the message i was conveying....

economic growth must be translated into improved standard of living, better services, low inflation, better health services and a vibrant private sector....

if translations aren't recognised than all it is is a waste of time....

Respond to this message   
Ant

They will be held accountable! Who can hide the truth?

November 9 2010, 10:59 PM 

Png growth is only based on the hungry world demand for its natural resource which will keep on increasing.

Problem though is much of the income is diverted through hidden agendas for personal gains by those in power. Their priority is their own prosperity to the detriment of the grassroots who are suffering so badly. What hope and future do they have?

Settlements around Lae and Port Moresby and other centres are exploding in terms of population and failing infrastucture which only leads to more ethinic clashes and a misserable existance even for well educated Papua New Guineans. Working class people with Housing allowances are been forced out of town / city accommodation because of the massive hike in rentals and are now residing in settlements.

The PNGPC is simple unable to handle this situation. Lack of manpower, priortised funding and resources. A blatant lack of discipline as the common policeman also has to survive and provide for his family thus hidden agendas become very attractive.

Imagine if all the money that was diverted via corruption was channeled where it is need most, Policing, Medical and Education this will make a major difference. An investment in our countries future.

Those in control now play a political game to ensure that their own agendas are protected. But it is only a matter of time before these individuals will be held accountable. If not in their life time they will not be able to cover up their trangressions before their creator.

The cost of corruption costing many inocent lifes will be called into account. How many of these corrupt politicians and administrators will be able to stand. How will they justify their actions and motives. Earthly pocessions will mean nothing. The way we lead our life by ethics and principles will mean everything.

Respond to this message   
KAKARUK

Re: They will be held accountable! Who can hide the truth?

November 10 2010, 1:19 PM 

kakaruk eats ant! but on this issue we kakaruks agree with sentiments explored by ant ACCEPT that we must not generalize that all politicians & even public servants are corrupt and in it for themselves.there have been many civil servants who have put god & country first.sir paulman matane (accept for inter pacific merchant bank whose license was suspened by hi s cousin tolai sir henry torobert when he was governor of png reserve bank when sir paulias approved shonky loans to his own personal companies and to his business friend sam tam) is not one of them and is a classic former public servant gone mad.peter oniel is a pollie that epitomizes everything corrupt about png pollies.

but brada, performing ministers like arthur somare must not be faulted.the man has performed.without him, this country would have gone to the dogzzzz.lets stop the anti somare slur and make statements that are substantiated.there are many kakaruks like me studying all over the world that undertsand what is happening and we want to be proud that png is now on the map with a $usd 18 billion project.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - png economic growth is a miracle move by somare
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board