Your question or comment was about Australia Network News and Current Affairs
Dear John Middleton.
I am writing to you from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea about a story that will make your blood boil. Please air this in your Asia Pacific Focus program.
This is about Corruption in Papua New Guinea. White Collar Corruption at its best.
Massive funds up to the tune of K70 Million (A$35 Million) have been misused by the Local MP for Komo Margarima Electorate, the very electorate hosting the Multi Billion Kina PNG LNG Project.
Below is the detailed evidence of the facts before had. All hard copies of the bank statements are available for further clarification. We the simple people want this story to be published so that this filth can be uncovered and the perpetrators of this misuse be prosecuted.
Please contact me directly on the above contacts for further information.
Below is the statement that has been sent to the Ombudsman Commission and other anti corruption alliance groups in PNG.
There is a clear misuse of public funds which is indicated clearly on the
Bank records (attached) of the Komo Margarima District Account. Millions of Kina
from the district account has been diverted into the Acting District Managers
personal account for personal use, which we believe is done in consultation or with
the knowledge of the local Member of Parliament. The Acting District Manager
should be terminated, arrested and locked behind bars for an investigation to begin.
We write to your office expressing the concern of the huge misappropriation which
occured in the Komo Margarima funds in a short span of time, 2007 2010. This
Acting District Administrator for Komo Margarima District has terribly mismanaged
the district funds. He illegally did direct fund transfers, made huge withdrawals over
the counter under his own name, converting huge amounts of money into bank
Cheques to direct transfers to PNG Construction Ltd, a company purportedly owned
by the local member of Parliament and many others he and the local MP has
We know the National Anti-Corruption Alliance will help fight this corruption in the
use of Komo Margarima funds so that normalcy will return and that is why we make
this presentation to your office.
It is therefore our hope and wish that this officer is brought before the law and that
we want investigations carried out sooner the better and the member for Komo
Margarima should be included in this investigation. We further wish to request
that the following Accounts to be frozen as you begin your investigation:-
1000585280-District Support and Improvement Program Account(Trust Account) ;
1000908301- Tumbi Yaris Personal Account ;
1000874712- PNG Construction Ltd Account ;
1000931773- District Treasury and Operating Account and
any other related accounts that may involve Komo Margarima funds.
We believe you will evidently be informed with the Bank Statements that we
Present to you, but we wish you please to read our brief which will then lead you to
those Bank Statements.
1. On the 31 st of December 2008, there was a direct transfer deposit of
K 1000,000.00 from the District Treasury Operating Acc: 1000931773 to Tumbis personal Acc. 1000908301.
2. On the same day (31st Dec. 2008), the officer personally withdrew K60,000.00 from the above funds.
3. On the 2nd of January 2009, the officer withdrew K40,000.00 from the funds indicated in point no. one above.
4. On the 8th January 2009, there were two (2) cheques totalling K90,000.00 were deposited into his personal Account.
5. On the 19th January 2009, the officer withdrew K 15,000.00.
6. On the 4th June 2009, there was a direct deposit of K 420,000.00 from the DSIP Account (1000585280) into the officers personal Account (1000908301).
7. On the 5th June 2009, there was a withdrawal of K 420,000.00 at the counter.
8. On the 24th June, there was a deposit of K 2,000.00 from SHPG.
9. On the same date (24th June 2009) the officer withdrew K 1,000.00.
10. On the 20th August 2009, the officer withdrew K 3,000.00.
11. On the 21st August 2009, he withdrew K 3,500.00.
12. On the 21st August 2009, the PNG Construction Ltd deposited
K 3, 000.00 into his personal account.
13. On the 24th August 2009, William Onglo deposited K 3,000.00 into Tumbi Yaris personal account.
14. On the same date (24th August 2009) the officer withdrew K 1,000.00.
15. On the 8th of September 2009, he cashed K 1,000.00.
16. On the 14th of September 2009, there was a direct transfer deposit of
K 107, 000.00 into Tumbi Yaris personal Account from the District Account.
17. On the 14th of September 2009, the officer withdrew K15, 000.00 at BSP, Mendi.
18. On the 15th of September 2009, there was a direct transfer deposit of
K 300,000.00 from the District Treasury Operating Account ( 1000931773) into Tumbi Yaris personal Account- Cheque No. 16879.
19. On the 15th of September 2009, the officer made deposits of 2x SHPG Cheques of K 9,820.00.
20. On the same date (15th September, 2009), he withdrew K 9,800.00, BSP, Mendi.
21. On the same date (15th September,2009), Tumbi Yari withdrew
22. On the same date, (15th September, 2009) there was a deposit of
K 3, 000. 00 from an Account number 1000931388.
23. 0n the 22nd of September 2009, the officer withdrew K 4,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
24. On the 23rd of September 2009, he withdrew K 2,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
25. On the 24th of September 2009, he withdrew K 1,144.00, Hotel Poroman, Mt Hagen.
26. On the 24th of Septenmber 2009, he withdrew K 13,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
27. On the same date( 24th September,2009), Tumbi Yari withdrew
28. On the 25th September 2009, he withdrew K 15,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
29. On the same date ( 25th September 2009), Tumbi Yari withdrew
K 140,000.00 to purchase building materials to build his house in the village (you find this house in Tengo village- Margarima).
30. On the 11th of December 2009, he withdrew K 2,700.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
31. On the 14th of December 2009,there was a direct transfer deposit of
K 40,000.00 from the Account 1000931773 to his personal Account.
32. On the 15th of December 2009, the officer withdrew K 15,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
33. On the same date ( 15th December 2009), the officer withdrew
K25, 000 .00
34. On the 15th of December 2009, there was a direct deposit transfer of
K 230,000.00 from the District Treasury and Operating Account (1000931773) into Tumbi Yaris personal Account- Cheque Numbers: 16884,16885,16882 and 16883.
35. On the 18th of December 2009, there was a huge direct deposit of
K 2,000,000.00 from the Komo Margarima District Treasury and Operating Account to Tumbi Yaris personal Account- Cheque Number: 16869.
36. On the 24th of December 2009, there was a huge withdrawal of
K 210,000.00 at the counter by Tumbi Yari.
37. On the same date (24th Dec.2009), the officer withdrew K 4,200.00.
38. On the same date ( 24th Dec.2009), Tumbi Yari did the biggest withdrawal of K 1,000,000.00 for what purpose, no-one knows, it is mystery to understand this kind of money being drawn in physical cash.
39. On the 4th of January, 2010, Tumbi Yari withdrew K 1,500,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen Branch.
40. On the 5th of January 2010, he withdrew K 1,000.00, ATM, Mt Hagen.
41. On the 5th of January 2010, he withdrew K 1,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
42. On the 6th of January 2010, he withdrew K 1,200.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
43. On the 7th of January 2010, the officer withdrew K 1,000.00, ATM1, Mt Hagen.
44. On the same date (7th January, 2010) he withdrew K 1,500.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
45. On the 11th of January 2010, he withdrew K 1,000.00, BSP, Mt Hagen.
46. On the 15th of January 2010, the officer withdrew K 1,000,000.00 for whatever the purpose, no-one knows, it is a mystery to understand this kind of money being drawn in physical cash.
a. The accumulative figure of the little amount being drawn from his personal Account day by day is nearly K 26,000.00. Note that the officer had been living on peoples monies while being suspended from the public services payroll.
b. I refer you to the Gross Misuse which contains in the four (4) pages Bank Statements attached herein. You find Bank Cheques were made to PNG Construction Ltd by Tumbi Yari from his personal Account and two (2) of the District Accounts. Why from his personal account?
c. You also find payments made by PNG Construction Ltd made to Mr Yaris personal account. What are they for, bribery?
d. You also find various other deposits made by unknown people into his personal account, are they bribery?
Please, investigate the direct Bank Cheques transfers into PNG Construction Ltd Account- 1000874712. If the PNG Construction Ltd was engaged for projects, cheques would not have been drawn in big amounts. Also direct transfers of funds are totally not allowed by Finance Management Act. There are no evidences of Tenders Board Approval of a certain project which would be executed by PNG Construction Ltd nor the JDP and BPC meeting being held to have the direct transfers of public funds. Where and when the PNG Construction Ltd executed the projects worth the millions of Kina being directly transferred above, no-one knows.
Further note that, specific reference should be made to the following which Tumbi Yari is involved:-
Investigate all direct transfers to the same Account on the 14th of December 2009. (Beneficiary Account to PNG Construction Ltd).
Investigate the cheques cashed by Tumbi Yari- Cheque Numbers- 16884,16881,16885,16882 and 16883.
The above cheques were cashed on the 15th of December 2009,the total amount is K 230,000.00 and directly transferred into Tumbi Yaris personal Account(1000908301).
There was another cheque number 16879 was directly transferred into Tumbi Yaris personal Account, investigate it.
Investigate the K 2,000,000.00 Cheque Number 16869 which was directly transferred to Tumbi Yaris personal Account from the Komo Margarima District Treasury and Operating Account.
Again, from what we all know, there was a never a JDP and BPC been conducted or had there been any of the local Construction Companies bided for the projects through the Tenders Board in the district. The people know that the very established procedures were not followed in spending the Komo Margarima funds.
Even if the JDP and BPC had been conducted, it is a question of if the JDP and BPC would advice Tumbi Yari to go ahead to have all the funds deposited into his personal Account and do huge personal withdrawals at his own will and convinience.
We believe Tumbi Yari has terribly breached the established Finance Management Act by illegal self withdrawals, direct transfers of huge amounts of money from the various accounts into his personal account.
Sir, we can all see that there was a Gross Misuse of public funds and his Management of District Funds should therefore be thoroughly investigated and he should be referred to law.
You will further note that all the funds from the District Treasury will be Drawn Under His Personal Name, instead of drawing funds under the title as District Administrator, there were direct transfers of funds from the various Accounts into Tumbi Yaris Account, there were direct transfers from the DSIP and District Treasury Operating Account to the PNG Construction Ltd and we believe these warrant him (Tumbi Yari) to be investigated and charged.
In this submission, we present to your office the following:-
Our Statement of facts ;
I kindly ask you please to conduct the investigation as we see the case to be extremely serious.