<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board  

Let the people vote for the PM

August 21 2011 at 7:50 AM

Since people are the worst affected and not the parliamentarians, why not the
people vote for the PM (instead of the elected MPs) as well their MPs? Then the people will
blame themselves if PM who forms the government is doing enough for them or not. Will it
be possible to enact something along that line?

Over to you online politic commentators...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Voter

Re: Let the people vote for the PM

August 21 2011, 7:56 AM 

To begin with, the constitution would have to be changed for this to happen. And who changes our constitution? Only the MPs! Of course they aren't going to make such a change cuz its not in their best interest.

Then theres the question of voter competency. We hardly ever are able to identify much less elect people of truly high integrity and honesty, who place this country's well being above that of their wantoks or personal bank accounts. What kind of disaster would we elect directly as PM. Probably pretty much the sme kinds of disasters as we've been getting-Wingti, Chan, Somare, Skate, and now O'Neill. The only halfway honest (not totally so) were Namaliu and Morauta. Not a very good track record.

Respond to this message   
job seeker

Re: Let the people vote for the PM

September 6 2011, 8:49 AM 

Good on you. lets try

Respond to this message   
Pro Kimisopa

My Vote

September 6 2011, 9:38 AM 

If I were to vote for the PM... I'll vote for Bire Kimisopa.

Respond to this message   
Fermin

Re: My Vote

September 6 2011, 10:49 AM 

yeah good idea in theory but its essentially a popularity contest anyway and you could have any tom dick n harry running. As voter quite clearly pointed out- our constitution would have to be changed and that in itself would be a laborious process open to legal challenges and what not. Let's get this court case out of the way, let the courts answer the reference and wait till elections next yr and hopefully we'll get some good quality candidates running.

Respond to this message   
Hon MP Bolabola

September 6 2011, 10:35 PM 

Look at how often our constitution has been changed in the last 10 years and you'll quickly stop arguing that it's hard or laborious to do.

But the fact is that our MPs will see no reason to make this change.

Respond to this message   
husait man

September 8 2011, 2:47 PM 

He seems to be a good guy from everything that's said. But sometimes the best looking people turn out to be the worst disasters so don't follow him (or any other pollie) blindly....... ever.

Be supportive but stay critical. Em tasol.

Respond to this message   
Kumul

Let people vote for PM

September 8 2011, 1:54 PM 

Yeah, why not. the current system does not seem to benefit all population of PNG; scrap it and try a new way. One little problem I've been thinkin about, PNG is a country of minorities so we would get only the Kanges to vote for who ever they nominated for PM and only the Tolais for their own candidate. what do we do so we all think as a nation and not as regions. Think about it.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Let the people vote for the PM
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Politics Board