The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Bullies

September 28 2007 at 12:12 PM
No score for this post

PaulC  (Login WexKenpo)
from IP address 193.120.250.126

Response to Handling Bullies

Dealing with bullies is a difficult subject to teach.

I can recommend a book called "Bullied to Blackbelt" by Simon Morrell.

It's available through the following website www.newbreedbooks.co.uk

Here is the link to it's blurb
http://www.newbreedbooks.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

It's out of print at the moment but worth getting at the reprint.

I too would like a copy of Mr. Arnold's student's thesis as it is a subject close to my heart.

I teach my students anti bullying tactics as part of my classes. One approach I adopt is the acting out of postural deportment. It is my experience that bullies GENERALLY are suffering the same emotional and psychological problems as their victims, low self esteem, possibly some emotional trauma, and others.

The difference is, imho, that a bullied externalises their problems while their victims internalise. In a class environment, positive reinforcement, praise for good performance, refraining from negative feedback.

I genuinely feel that a bullied child can exhibit dramatic improvements if nurtured properly during training. I have witnessed this metamorphisis myself on many occasions.

Sure, the techniques and physical movements help the child deal with the actual physical side of things, but more than that, it is important to teach a child how not to be a victim at all.

Bullies, GENERALLY, pick on those who appear weaker than themselves. So if we can teach a child how not to appear weak, then we have offset the problem with some degree of success.

Just my tupence worth.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.