The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Most Important Part of Kenpo

November 28 2007 at 2:49 PM
No score for this post
Bobby O'Leary  (Login bobby.oleary)
from IP address 193.1.172.104

Hi guys,

I read this forum quite a bit, I post from time to time whenever the mood strikes, well it's struck again.

I recently began teaching a childrens class and at the end of the first class I asked them all what they thought was the most important part of Karate. Answers ranged from Self-defense to general fitness with "Hitting people" and "relaxing" thrown in. I told them it was respect, of yourself, of your training partners, of your opponents and of everyone else. The kids seemed to take what I said on board and the classes are running much smoother now.

The whole thing got me thinking though, what part of Kenpo WAS the most important? I don't mean respect and abstract terms like that but more quantifiable things like fitness; sparring ability; forms and so on. The answer I came up with for myself was a triad of sparring, fitness and meeting new people. Self-defense in and of itself doesn't interest me that much, I prefer working out and hitting some sparring (though I suppose those things really are a subset of SD). Also, the thing that keeps me coming back to my particular club is the people in it.

When I go to a class I tend to work myself pretty physically for about half of it, then tone it down and go into a more sociable mood, then get physical with some sparring at the end. Those three things are what I really love about Kenpo and what I try to get when I go to a class.

To finish: What's the most important part of Kenpo to you and what do you do with your Kenpo to optimise how often you get to do it?

Just something that struck me!
-Bob

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.