The KenpoNet Discussion Forum

Return to Articles  

Most Important Part of Kenpo

November 28 2007 at 2:49 PM
No score for this post
Bobby O'Leary  (Login bobby.oleary)
from IP address

Hi guys,

I read this forum quite a bit, I post from time to time whenever the mood strikes, well it's struck again.

I recently began teaching a childrens class and at the end of the first class I asked them all what they thought was the most important part of Karate. Answers ranged from Self-defense to general fitness with "Hitting people" and "relaxing" thrown in. I told them it was respect, of yourself, of your training partners, of your opponents and of everyone else. The kids seemed to take what I said on board and the classes are running much smoother now.

The whole thing got me thinking though, what part of Kenpo WAS the most important? I don't mean respect and abstract terms like that but more quantifiable things like fitness; sparring ability; forms and so on. The answer I came up with for myself was a triad of sparring, fitness and meeting new people. Self-defense in and of itself doesn't interest me that much, I prefer working out and hitting some sparring (though I suppose those things really are a subset of SD). Also, the thing that keeps me coming back to my particular club is the people in it.

When I go to a class I tend to work myself pretty physically for about half of it, then tone it down and go into a more sociable mood, then get physical with some sparring at the end. Those three things are what I really love about Kenpo and what I try to get when I go to a class.

To finish: What's the most important part of Kenpo to you and what do you do with your Kenpo to optimise how often you get to do it?

Just something that struck me!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Find more forums on Martial ArtsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2015 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Visitors since April 1999

Thanks for visiting.