Most Important Part of KenpoNovember 28 2007 at 2:49 PM
No score for this post
|Bobby O'Leary (Login bobby.oleary)|
from IP address 188.8.131.52
I read this forum quite a bit, I post from time to time whenever the mood strikes, well it's struck again.
I recently began teaching a childrens class and at the end of the first class I asked them all what they thought was the most important part of Karate. Answers ranged from Self-defense to general fitness with "Hitting people" and "relaxing" thrown in. I told them it was respect, of yourself, of your training partners, of your opponents and of everyone else. The kids seemed to take what I said on board and the classes are running much smoother now.
The whole thing got me thinking though, what part of Kenpo WAS the most important? I don't mean respect and abstract terms like that but more quantifiable things like fitness; sparring ability; forms and so on. The answer I came up with for myself was a triad of sparring, fitness and meeting new people. Self-defense in and of itself doesn't interest me that much, I prefer working out and hitting some sparring (though I suppose those things really are a subset of SD). Also, the thing that keeps me coming back to my particular club is the people in it.
When I go to a class I tend to work myself pretty physically for about half of it, then tone it down and go into a more sociable mood, then get physical with some sparring at the end. Those three things are what I really love about Kenpo and what I try to get when I go to a class.
To finish: What's the most important part of Kenpo to you and what do you do with your Kenpo to optimise how often you get to do it?
Just something that struck me!
- Re: Most Important Part of Kenpo - Gil Hauser on Nov 28, 2007, 7:39 PM
- Self defense - pure and simple. - Chuck Peterson on Nov 28, 2007, 9:32 PM
- Well... - Joshua Meredith on Nov 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
- The most important part in kenpo is... - Steven Brown on Nov 28, 2007, 11:51 PM
- Control, control and control..... - Celestial Pony on Nov 29, 2007, 1:27 PM
- Nothing new, but.... - tom bleecker on Nov 29, 2007, 1:33 PM
- Re: Most Important Part of Kenpo - Matthew Smith on Dec 3, 2007, 11:00 AM
- re:most important part of kenpo - mreverett on Dec 18, 2007, 7:27 PM